1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Les Paul Humbucker Style
Strat Style
Tele Style

Should cover most music genres - Any one agree, or disagree?
cheers
RIFF WRATH

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's a great start and mostly where I'm at but sometimes I think I'm missing the boat by not having a guitar with P90s, or a 335 style hollowbody. Or maybe a hollow with P90s!

Then there's Filtertrons, particularly in a nice fat Gretch. As a buddy once said "they sound like gravel sliding down a hill".

Need more guitars!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I tend to play fast and loose with this kind of thing. I don't need to have the big brand name originators, just very well-built, nice playing copies. Your mileage may vary, but here's my list:

A strat type (I own a few Washburns that fit the bill) - that classic shape with a bolt-on neck and the standard five-position switch. Except two of my Washies have a Stephens Extended Cutaway neck, which affords me superior upper fret access. I'm also happy to depart from only a single coil approach.... I like a mix. As for tremelos, I have a Floyd on one Washie just for recording purposes and general messing around - but as for the rest, I prefer to bend on a hardtail.

An SG type (in my case, a Guild S-100 from '71 and a couple of Epiphone SGs)... set necks and humbuckers rule. Something about the general SG profile that strikes me as being utterly cool.

An LP type (looking to score a Hagstrom Swede, which is close enough in my book)... big, heavy, resonant beasts that give a different sound from my lighter, more comfortable guitars.

Ones I'd like to try/add into my stable: your classic archtop semi-acoustic, and maybe something light but slick like a high-end Parker Fly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although I'm usually another "just a Tele" guy like jroberts above, I've recently begun salivating over SG's and big fat hollow-bodies. Thus an SG is now on my "must haves" list and a hollow-body will be added once I've played enough of them to find one that fits.

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts
Must have?

I MUST have a superstrat with locking trem. I also have a Strat, Tele and Les Paul but they're not "must haves", just "want to haves".

·
Registered
635 Posts
Single coil guys- Strat.

Humbucker guys - Les Paul

I'd agree that the Tele is a must have guitar as well, but in terms of tone versatility, the Strat wins in my mind.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Versatility is what I need, but if I had to choose one guitar it would be a Tele. Having said that, a Strat and Tele for the usual reasons, and humbucker guitars which in my case is an Epiphone Dot and a Godin LG. The LG has coil taps so it does double duty and gets a lot of use.

I need a 12 string electric yet.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
SCREEM said:
a large bank account :D
And if you do...

HB - LP, 335 and SG style
P90s - LP Special and 335 style, maybe a McCarty Soapbar.
SC - Tele, Strat style
A couple of hybrids of the above

And a Gustavson Bluesmaster just to show off.

·
Registered
788 Posts
+1 on PRS kinda souless if ya like vintage tones, mine sits in it's case. Amazing playability though, no fighting them, they are submisive:tongue:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
SCREEM said:
+1 on PRS kinda souless if ya like vintage tones, mine sits in it's case. Amazing playability though, no fighting them, they are submisive:tongue:
As far as souless, my 2 McCartys are on par with any vintage axe I have ever played in terms of sound and playabilty. No birds or 10 tops...just great playing guitars.:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
788 Posts
mario said:
As far as souless, my 2 McCartys are on par with any vintage axe I have ever played in terms of sound and playabilty. No birds or 10 tops...just great playing guitars.:DevilGuitar:
No doubt Mario, I should have made my comment on cu22's or my perticular example of the model, wich I love none the less....a sharp tool in the shed when I need one :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
If you need versatility go for a Parker. I hade a Parker P-44. There is two humbuckers with tapo coil and a piezo. Ther a stereo output to put the piezo on one side and the rest on the other. This guitar is amazing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts