The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guitar project that went wrong and I want the body refinished in nitro. I know I can send it off the MJT or a few other USA based companies who refinish guitars. Just wondering if there’s and Canadian companies who refinish using nitro and do custom colours, relicing, etc.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys. I emailed both places. MJT emailed me back, seemed pretty friendly and wanted my business. I think I’m gonna go with them. Send off the body and neck. Now to decide on what colour, I know I want sunburst with a colour over it, then a medium to heavy relic.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
MJT emailed me back, seemed pretty friendly and wanted my business. I think I’m gonna go with them
I'd be interested to know how this gets handled by customs coming back into Canada. Will you have to pay tax & duty based on the full value of the body, or somehow just the finishing, or nothing? Is there significant cost savings by shipping your body down rather than just buying one of theirs (maybe more so because you are sending the body AND a neck)? Keep us updated with how the whole process goes!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I’m not really sure if I will be charged for the refinishing at the border or not. USA made guitar and USA services, free trade right:D

I could buy one of their bodies but since this is a Johnny Marr signature jaguar I want to keep the neck and body together. Not that there’s any value in that but still just want to keep it original, even though it’s going for a refinish and relic, lol.

I got the guitar cheap because it was sort of beat up, finish wise. It’s never been played much just banged around a bunch. This is my 4th time owning one of these jags, maybe I’ll keen this one since it is the best playing one yet and has the biggest neck. Also to buy a JM body off eBay they are from $600-$800 for black or white only.

I want candy red over 3 tone sunburst or maybe just candy red or candy green. Haven’t decided yet. This will cost anywhere from $600-$800 depending on what I want done. I’ll keep you guys posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts