The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been playing a 1991 American Strat with Fender Noiseless pups for several years. It serves me well, but lately I've been having a hankering for something with a fatter, more LP-like sound. Basically, I want something that has a nice fat tone with lots of sustain, to compliment my Strat, which has a pretty classic Strat sound.

I generally play through a POD XT and whatever PA or solid state amp is available at the gig, though occasionally I'll rent a Fender Twin or similarly configured amp. I play folk/rock/alt-country sort of stuff.

My budget is around $500.00. I played the Ibanez sz320 and liked it a lot. I also played a Yamaha rgx-a2 but found the neck to be too wide for my taste. I'm not a Godin fan, simply because I hate the body style.

I'm looking for a player, not a collectible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I,ve got an Ibanez SZ520 and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the SZ models, nice fat mahogany LP type of tone and good sustain. Lots of decent LP clones out there for around $500...Epiphone, Tokai, Agile etc. I know Epi makes a "Classic" model with the slimmer neck. Also how about some SG clones? Also Godin has a new model the Detour, sort of a super strat body style, dual humbuckers, 3 way, and tusq nut. They go for about $400 around here. Not the same body of the LG line at all.

Tarl

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
You might want to try some sort of LP or SG copy. Tokai's are really good, and I love my Love Rock. You could try out jsdguitarshack.com, he's a pretty well known Tokai dealer. He's also located somewhere in Ontario, so shipping will be good. He's sold a lot of guitars to Harmony Central forumites in the US, and I haven't heard one complaint.

·
Registered
788 Posts
keep the strat, its the most versatile guitar ever made. Maybe get a hot rail for the bridge, back off the tone knob, get some of these picks....

http://www.dugain-picks.fr/medias/dugain-picks.htm

although I've not bought them, I have made copies from coconut shell, aluminum, plexi glass, oak and brass. I have found the plexi glass to give the mellowest tone, but thats probably because its 4mm thick(1mm at tip)

The Dugain flash showcase shows exactly how to make it :D

I will post picks when i get my camera back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
epi les pauls are good but im gonna upgrade my pups as most of you should know cause ive been polluting the site with questions. Sorry bout that boys but im stoked to be upgrading and I need the info.

Epi les paul wise though i love mine. It plays awsome, looks really nice and the sound is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
screaminking said:
You might want to try some sort of LP or SG copy. Tokai's are really good, and I love my Love Rock. You could try out jsdguitarshack.com, he's a pretty well known Tokai dealer. He's also located somewhere in Ontario, so shipping will be good. He's sold a lot of guitars to Harmony Central forumites in the US, and I haven't heard one complaint.
I second that. Tokais are excelent guitars, better than standard Epiphones thats for sure and Kevin at JSDs is great to deal with. I love my custom Love Rock, I'm saving up to get me another.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pre-lawsuit Love Rock

Strung1 said:
I second that. Tokais are excelent guitars, better than standard Epiphones thats for sure and Kevin at JSDs is great to deal with. I love my custom Love Rock, I'm saving up to get me another.
Has anyone tried the pre-lawsuit Love Rock guitars and compared it to the current models?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'd go for the SZ. they're pretty solid guitars and i like the neck on them a lot

·
Registered
9 Posts
strat copies

Hey tried a squier strat felt good,has anyone seen an Axe-strat copy?Seen one only but unable to find.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Pick up a used Agile LP, SG, or 335 on ebay. They are good as is, but really come to life with new pickups and electronics. A fantastic guitar for very little money. My Agile 335 (AS-820) is my favourite guitar and I also own a 1991 Strat.

TG

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are patient. you can find a used Yamaha SBG1000 like this .... it's an 83. mahagony body, maple top, glued neck not bolted. This thing screams.. Kills any tokai i have tried and even a lot newer Les Pauls
I got it for $500.00.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Wow, that is an AMAZING deal! If you ever see another one at that price let me know!!!

TG

EL34POWER said:
If you are patient. you can find a used Yamaha SBG1000 like this .... it's an 83. mahagony body, maple top, glued neck not bolted. This thing screams.. Kills any tokai i have tried and even a lot newer Les Pauls
I got it for $500.00.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
JSD has no more Love Rocks.... I got the last one...:banana:
They are nice though, that's why I own two. They are both MIK and I don't see much difference to the MIJ's. On the other hand the Epi Sheraton nicely compliments a Strat...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd go with that Yammerha. They are great guitars and the aren't trying to be something else.

Like a knock off LP:tongue:

·
Registered
233 Posts
This was a super old thread....:eek:

PaulS said:
JSD has no more Love Rocks.... I got the last one...:banana:
:oops: Actually I do have one more available, it was on hold for a customer but he has disapeared and forfitted his deposit, his loss = someone else's gain... :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts