The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so what is the best guitar for recording a stones circa 1970 style sound. I want something that sounds nice and warm, clear, and big. it should also sound good with some gain...

telecaster or is a strat more suited to that rock n roll / blues style sound?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would a gibson (any model) compare? Or is a tele definitly the way to go?

it's pretty funny - guitar manufacturers always list the specs of their guitars on the websites. However, if you aren't really sure what the differences are, it doesn't make alot of sense. I wish they would come out with somthing that was like if you want:

real metal sound: buy x guitar
blues sound: buy x guitar
etc...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
kobra said:
how would a gibson (any model) compare? Or is a tele definitly the way to go?

it's pretty funny - guitar manufacturers always list the specs of their guitars on the websites. However, if you aren't really sure what the differences are, it doesn't make alot of sense. I wish they would come out with somthing that was like if you want:

real metal sound: buy x guitar
blues sound: buy x guitar
etc...
You know it's not so much the type of guitar, you can apply any guitar to any style. Another member used to play a CE24 on his Jazzy gigs. The CE24 has hot ceramic pickups not something you normally relate to a Jazz sound.

The Stones use all types of guitars, anything will work. Something with a earthy vintage tone will work the best, probably stay away from the Super Strat shredding type guitars ala Ibanez etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that makes sense, i just want to try and acheive a warm sound that has a bit of an edge to it with gain at some points for the next recording i'm doing

i used my les paul studio for the last album and it turned out pretty good

·
Registered
874 Posts
I find the amp is probibly 50% of the sound, guitar 10% and the rest is in your fingers....

Tarl

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Keith is definitely associated most with a Tele, but as others have noted he also played 335s and LP Juniors. One of the keys to getting that Stones sound IMHO is open tunings. Keith has used open G and open E on a lot of their best known songs. Honkey Tonk Women, Brown Sugar and Start Me Up are just a few that come to mind that are in open tunings.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
What's happening here?

I refuse to make fun of strat players two times in one week. I'm not that dedicated.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
What's with the resurrection of all these old threads lately?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Getting into the Easter spirit?
Funny. However, nothing to do with Easter. A bit of history: "'The book Medieval Holidays and Festivals tells us that “the holiday is named after the pagan Goddess of the Dawn and of Spring, Eostre.” And who was this goddess? “Eostre it was who, according to the legend, opened the portals of Valhalla to receive Baldur, called the White God, because of his purity and also the Sun God, because his brow supplied light to mankind,”

New members????
Likely this is the most common reason. Now that you mention it, I have seen a number of these old threads resurrected by new or newer members. Sometimes it has been a good thing as some of these threads were quite interesting and new information or ideas have come out of them.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
no steadfastly, youve got it all wrong.
easter is when they murdered the baby jesus and he came back to life and then went to heaven for our sins.
or something.
thats what they told us, so its the truth.
everything else is just witches poisoning the world with lies.

also- strats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts