The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone uses any sort of protection pads for the back of the guitar to guard against buckles and those nib things on jeans?
I found some online I'm thinking of purchasing but would like to hear if anyone has something else to suggest.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used to slid the buckle towards my hip when I played with a strap. Nowadays, I mostly sit to play.
And buckle rash should be an accepted side effect of a guitar being played

·
Registered
975 Posts
There once was a man who worked for Gretsch named Jimmie Webster who had a lot of crazy ideas.

One idea was a mute system, you could dial-up or flip a piece of felt against the strings, so you could make sounds sort of like Chet Atkins did, but you didn't need to use your palm and fingerpick at the same time.

To install this required a large hole be cut in the middle of the back of the guitar. The hole was covered with a piece of plastic, which looked pretty bad, so they covered that with a back pad that attaches with snap buttons, maybe from a banjo?

It's pretty odd and puts people off, but I'm used to it and don't mind it. You can really see how well it worked after 55 years.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do the belt buckle turn to the hip trick myself but sometimes jeans are jeans and my shirt is tucked in so the nibs are unavoidable. The guitars I own are a mix of allow playing to take its course and keep in as pristine shape as possible so its just for a few special ones. I don't want to put anything sticky on the back is it would have to be similar to this.

Scratch Pad Guitar Finish Protector - Black

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I don't have a big buckle--and I almost never tuck in my shirts-But I sometimes clip my phone to my belt--and I move it to play standing so it isn't hitting the guitar.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I cut the brass nubs off that little pocket thing on the right side of my jeans so they don't make clicking sounds on the back of my acoustic guitar. As for the belt buckle it doesn't seem to hit on anything.

The brass things are just rivets. Side cutters and they are gone in 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
Is it a guitar you plan on selling? Does it see enough use that it's going to get pretty worn down from a buckle?

·
Mad Strappier
470 Posts
there's a ton of handy pads with little stickies built right in in the bathroom closet.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it a guitar you plan on selling? Does it see enough use that it's going to get pretty worn down from a buckle?
It gets enough use that pants and buckles would be of impact and it's a guitar I'd like to keep as nice as possible. It's also a guitar with a softer wood body and not a whole lot of finish to protect it.

As helpful as the suggestions have been here I'm just going to buy one of those pads I found online.

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
Let us know how it turns out!

Oddly enough, the belt area is one spot that isn't losing the satin on my S2.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts