The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone prefer. I've use both through the years. I've use a ROland GP8 and a korg A5. Then I've also used various Boss and Digitech pedals. Right now I'm using a BCB60 filled with 5 different boss pedals. The band I'm in right now has just been hacking around for the last 5 years not really being serious. The same band I've been in since 1985 when we toured full time. Now the band is getting serious again. The lead singer and I have been talking and are going to replace the drummer and bass player and add another guitarist. So, since we are serious again time for better equipment.
So just like to hear everyones recomendation for a nice all in one guitar effects processor. I've kind of been out of the loop for a bit and don't really know the new stuff out there. The last one I tried was a couple of years ago before I got the bcb60 board. A GT6 or 8 from boss. I didn't really like it much.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I prefer anolog pedals. I really don't like the digital processors as they seem to not project at higher volumes. However they are a great practice tool when you don't want to disturb the neigbours.

:rockon2:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I to, prefer the analog pedals for tone, its just that the effects processor have alot more flexibility. Its nice to be able to have banks of different sounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a POD XT Live and when I bought it , I figured I could use it just for FX in my live rig (Mesa Tremoverb). My idea was to turn the amp sims off and just use the delay , chorus etc. Well it does not do a good job in this area at all :frown: I tried every way to hook it up , tweak the knobs , etc.

The sound was just all "squashed" and flat sounding. The life got sucked out of my tone and the pick attack was all messed up.

I am using the POD for direct recording and direct hookup to the PA when I don't feel like lugging my amp to a jam.

For shows however, I am in the process of buying all analog stand alone pedals except for say a digital delay. I never understood why people as so in love with analog delays. To me its just a muddy repeat that everyone calls "warm". A good digital delay can simulate the analog sound if needed for some tunes. (just my opinion).

I plan to also make a looper to take the delay out of the signal chain when not in use.

:rockon:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...the ideal combination, for me, is pedals for compression, overdrive and distortion, and and all-in-one processor for modulation and time-based effects.

the only problem is, outside of the very expensive tc electronics g system, NOT ONE MANUFACTURER IN THE ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEM MAKES ONE!!!!

this makes no sense whatsoever!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

-dh

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking that for now I may just stay with pedals. The problem is, I've got one more spot for a pedal (I'm thinking of dropping the Acoustic simulator pedal in there) but would like to add more. I hate the thoughts of daisy chaining more outside the board. I suppose I could pick up another BCB60 board and add 6 more. Anyone ever done that?

·
Registered
666 Posts
ANaolog all the way for this guy. Digital and multi pedals , to my old ears, sounds like shyte. The other guitarplayer in our band uses one of those Boss thingies, and hes always fiddling, trying to come up with sopmething decent, that will get thru the mix without having to crank it to the point of drowning us out, and although he doesn't admit it, I know he's frustrated. I show up, plug in, and I'm good to go, with consistent tones, that CUT.

CT.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
My preference would be analog pedals...and used sparingly at that. The only thing that matters is your personal preference, though.

99% of my favourite guitar tones are guitar --> cord --> tube amp.

Jim

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CocoTone said:
ANaolog all the way for this guy. Digital and multi pedals , to my old ears, sounds like shyte. The other guitarplayer in our band uses one of those Boss thingies, and hes always fiddling, trying to come up with sopmething decent, that will get thru the mix without having to crank it to the point of drowning us out, and although he doesn't admit it, I know he's frustrated. I show up, plug in, and I'm good to go, with consistent tones, that CUT.

CT.

Yes I have been there in the past. Very frustrated, spending hours coming up with a good sound through digital processors. Although there were some sounds that I was able to create that sounded great, it meant spending hours trying to get them. I'm just not in to spending that amount of time anymore. And I do like the idea of hearing the truer tones of my amp and guitar with very little processing with the exception of some tasteful coloring that the boss pedals offer.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Processors can sound good, but drive me crazy!! Presets all sounded good on their own, but didnt cut it in the real mix. Keep it as simple as possible. There shouldnt be a need for more than 5 pedals in a live rig. I find a comp, OD, maybe 2, and a delay is all I need. If you must have a Muti, Id go with one that has knobs for the EQ and drive that you can tweak on the fly. As the night goes on and volumes go up, the preset patches will most likely have to be changed. I had a Boss GT5, and I wasted more time playing with it than I did practicing. It was a horrid experience.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mr. David Severson said:
I prefer anolog pedals. I really don't like the digital processors as they seem to not project at higher volumes. However they are a great practice tool when you don't want to disturb the neigbours.

:rockon2:
I agree, that's all I use my GT-6 for nowadays. If I want to sound big at 2AM. I find that the GT-6 tends to have a delay problem if you are playing fast stuff....it garbles the definition because it 'processes' everything.

Ever since I found my Super Reverb, I have had all the tone I needed in the amp alone. For overdrive at lower volumes I use a Tubeworks pedal with a 12AX7 in it. I might use a chorus from time to time, but only sparingly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a digitech multifx that i used for awhile when just practising(still have it actually but the damn things busted). It was fine for when i was new to FX and didnt know much about them, and helped me learn what the different effects are and how to use them.

But i've found that the processors just cant compare to the individual ones, mainly due to the sheer amount and variety of single pedals you can find compared to the relatively limited number of good multi fx units

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I had a girlfriend once reminds me of a digital multi effect unit.... by the time she was undressed everything I liked about her was on the bedroom floor!!!:eek:

As the old song said:"ain't nuthin like the real thing baby!"

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Did the processor thing and gave up, too much work for very little sound. Patch sounds good at practice but sucks in a live situation. I also have returned to the legion of analog pedals that are out there, much better sound and selection. Plus you don't have to remember banks or patch numbers, just combos of leds on the floor... :D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Big White Tele said:
I had a Boss GT5, and I wasted more time playing with it than I did practicing. It was a horrid experience.
...exactly! which is why i won't go near the processors that have compressors, overdrives, distortions and amp/stompbox modelling technology. which, of course, is ALL of them. see my previous post. i STILL don't get it.

-dh

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I've tried to use multi-fx before, but I've always come back to stompboxes. Multi-fx devices, to me, just don't have any 'life' to them. Very sterile sounding. Now, I've not had the top of the line stuff, but you end up spending hours setting these things up.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
I just ordered a GNX3 to give it a try. I have never had one before, but based on another thread here I am going to try it out just for noodling around and practice. I realize these can be frustrating in terms of all the dialing in but I am hoping I can get at least 8-10 settings that I will like and then stop the dialing in process.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use a combination of pedals and digital rack FX. My loop is parallel (mixer)switchable via MIDI so my signal is only running through the digital fx when being used and not fully converted to digital. The FX unit I am using has great convertors and doesn't degrade the sound very much anyway.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I just ordered a GNX3 to give it a try. I have never had one before, but based on another thread here I am going to try it out just for noodling around and practice. I realize these can be frustrating in terms of all the dialing in but I am hoping I can get at least 8-10 settings that I will like and then stop the dialing in process.
I've had a GNX3 for a couple of months, and haven't really had a chance to do more than scratch the surface...there does seem to be some really nice sound in there though. :tongue:

I've only gotten as far as copying a few presets I like into the User group and make a few changes...a lot more work to do though.

First thing, turn off the noise gate on the presets, it's very noticeable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts