The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good perspective from a globally respected builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sulphur

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good video.. It seems like common sense.. until you actually talk to people about it, and find out they have no clue what all is actually involved in the pricetag

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He nails it at 10:50, paraphrasing...

“What if it is not the guitars built by these small luthiers that are too expensive, but what if instead most of the guitars in the world are too cheap due to common industrial exploitation?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think he's generally addressing the oft-voiced complaint that custom, high quality guitars from small luthiers are somehow "too expensive". If you've ever gone shopping for a good violin or cello, or a pro-grade sax or trumpet, you'd understand that guitar players are some of the cheapest bastards on the planet! %h(*&

Anyway, I think he's generally right that people don't seem as willing to pay the actually worth of a quality instrument because they've been drowned in a sea of substantially and demonstrably lesser products of the same type that have flooded into our commercial race-to-the-bottom world. It seems to me that a lot of the guitar players I know would rather own a half dozen mediocre Chinese made instruments than a single decent guitar, or would rather buy a Les Paul mail order to save $150 than play a bunch personally and pick the one that plays/sounds/feels best to them. But, we're padding the outlandish cash hordes of the 1% while we line our walls with plastic guitars, so I guess it's all good for something...

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I think he's generally addressing the oft-voiced complaint that custom, high quality guitars from small luthiers are somehow "too expensive". If you've ever gone shopping for a good violin or cello, or a pro-grade sax or trumpet, you'd understand that guitar players are some of the cheapest bastards on the planet! %h(*&

Anyway, I think he's generally right that people don't seem as willing to pay the actually worth of a quality instrument because they've been drowned in a sea of substantially and demonstrably lesser products of the same type that have flooded into our commercial race-to-the-bottom world. It seems to me that a lot of the guitar players I know would rather own a half dozen mediocre Chinese made instruments than a single decent guitar, or would rather buy a Les Paul mail order to save $150 than play a bunch personally and pick the one that plays/sounds/feels best to them. But, we're padding the outlandish cash hordes of the 1% while we line our walls with plastic guitars, so I guess it's all good for something...

And people in Ottawa are the cheapest of the cheapest bastards around

·
Registered
983 Posts
Interesting perspective with a few thought provoking points but he uses the word "exploitation" a bit much. Sounds a little bitter about the reality of living in a global economy.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts

Good points.

I'm always surprised by people who think guitar and amp builders should basically 'do it for free'. If the cost of components is $400, the guitar should cost $400. That builder doesn't need to eat, or pay rent, or entertain himself while not building guitars. Let alone pay taxes and other expenses that just happen to all of us. WTF?

Do those complainers work for free? Go in to the office or factory every day for the good of their health and the altruistic goals of making a better world? Or is it the crazy idea that 'guitar builders are doing what they love' and should just be happy with that? You know, like your favorite sports stars? Highly unlikely.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When you buy a guitar for the price of the woods it is made of, how can a luthier get experimented if he craves or have another job to make himself a living ?
Even though big shops produce massively, they have to pay their costly automated machinery.
The truth is even though guitar playing is given "for dummies" (as says the book series) the cost of good instruments is barely for every wallet.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I just shopped and ordered part for a telecaster build , trying to keep the price down but still, trying ending up with a good quality guitar. So i added all parts up with the shipping costs and it came to $ CA 699.00 . This is without sanding finish and assembling , and setup . I thought i could do it cheaper , i have a defer-ant outlook now ! (and i just started).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts