The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
bogoboy said:
What is the best polish for a nitro-cellulose finish? (brand name please.)
I use turtle paste wax. No kidding. gives a great shine, no silicones. However any wax will do, just remember that if it looks like water it likely is.
I also like old english furniture polish for the neck. gives the neck a slick feel.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
what's a nitro-cellulose finish?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Xanadu said:
what's a nitro-cellulose finish?
Lacquer.. A lot of the older guitars have it as a finish. There is a lot of debate on the merits of it's tonal quality vs polyurethane. You will often hear them called nitro finish and poly. People just like to make it sound a little more grande. Kind of like refering to an orange as a delicious segmented citris fruit. The debates rage on in the world of the cork sniffers as to which finish is superior for a number of reasons, tonal qualities , ageing of the finish etc. The superior finish for duribility is the polyurethane. As long as you look after your guitar it will stay looking new forever. Lacquer will yellow, fade & crack with age. That's one of the reasons they stopped using lacquer on cars. Many people like the aged look so it's just a mater of personal choice which finish is for you. Anyway there is nothing magic about either nitro or poly it's just lacquer & polyurethane.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I use the Fender (Macguires) kit. Dan Erlewine's books recommend Macguires.

I also have a bottle of Guild Polish - spray type, I find it great for glassing up the back of the neck.

I've read some rave reviews on Virtuoso (I think it's called) but I've never tried it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts