The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 1985 Kramer Striker 400ST that I LOVE. The touch is perfect, the neck is super straight. I just love this axe.

I play mostly Black Metal, Rock/Old school influenced metal. My current chain is Pedal Projects Klon -> Vintage RAT -> JCM 800 2204

I use to play using the stock pickups. Don't ask me what they are, just don't know. I recently decided to change the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4, and I love the way the mids are rising up, and the gain level is much more suitable than my stock pickup to be able to tweak my pedals to feed my JCM 800.

I am right now very close to what I am looking for, dirty yet detailed sound.

All this introduction to say that however, I think its not 100% the right pickup for me. I am looking for a just a bit more gain, but keeping the sonic characteristics of the SH-4. Some sort of real close cousin of it.

Does anybody have a good idea which pickup I should consider? I am allergic to active pickups by the way Hehe

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
Try q-tuners high gain pups. I have a demo video of me doing some RATM tunes with an octave pedal and it's still super clear with all the mess.

I'll post it later.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have previously used a set of Vineham Rampage pickups i really liked (there may be a set still for sale on the guitars and Parts section) that i found to be hotter than a JB. AS far as tone characreristics related to the JB im not too sure about that. They are based off of a Bareknuckle Nailbomb set and are made here in canada and will cost you a 1/3 of what you would pay for the Bareknuckle set.

Humbucker_pickups

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 on the Nailbomb style pickups. Chris Hannah of Propagandhi uses a set of Nailbombs in his SG and runs it through an axe-fx into the power section of a Marshall. if you want lots of gain with great articulation, just look into those pickups. pretty sure he used the SG to record the songs "Rattan Cane" and "Status update". Chris uses a lot of gain and arpegiated chords, so note to note articulation is a big deal to him.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I used to play in a black metal band called 'Funeral Fog'. We were signed on a Euro label and put out two albums (Under The Black Veil & Channelling Ancient Shadows)..Check out samples on youtube or where ever..I got that sound from using a '79 Iceman loaded with a DiMarzio paf DP 103 in the bridge. Absolutely the best pickup I've experienced for black metal.(and I experimented with a bunch of pickups) And the shocker? I plugged in a regular vintage Boss OD-1 into a '63 Blonde Bassman piggyback rig...Tracked/overdubbed about 5 times over to thicken the sound and voila!

·
Premium Member
18,330 Posts
If you want a bit more gain, try turning the gain up elsewhere in your signal path.

Before that though, evaluate your pickup height.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,973 Posts
If you like the sound of your JB, best thing to do is follow Budda's advice. Check your pickup height, add more gain somewhere, or a boost pedal up front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts