The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I mostly use Tortex & have for several years--but Id o like to try other picks & do use some different ones from time to time.
I don't know that most people would notice--but they do affect the way I play--so I do play better with some picks than others--not in an excuse way--just in a style way.
But definitely think trying different picks is helpful.
My switch to heavier picks early on helped me develop a better touch & sound.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I actually like a thinner pick when strumming acoustic. You can get that paper-y Johnny Cash rhythm.
My number one all around pick is the Wegen triangle.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I actually like a thinner pick when strumming acoustic. You can get that paper-y Johnny Cash rhythm.
My number one all around pick is the Wegen triangle.
I sued to do that--but it doesn't work for me.
However when I strum I hold the pick more loosely, and that sounds better and works for me.

But it's cool we have a lot of options.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I spent years playing with a purple Tortex (1.14mm) because I thought thicker picks produced a better tone and gave me more control over the dynamics.

About a year ago I switched to yellow Tortex (.73mm) because I found they produced better tone and gave me more control over the dynamics.

I agree with the video about thicker picks being somewhat darker sounding. Thinner picks generally have a brighter attack. I used to have a preference for the smoother sound of a thicker pick, but now I find I want a little more edge in my sound to help separate the notes more.

IMO/YMMV

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I go even thinner than that.
Tortex .60 for most playing.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I tend toward the .73 tortex and .88 cat tongues for acoustics. But I like the TUSQ ones quite a bit as well. They have the same thickness but the difference in sound they make is very apparent. White - bright, Gray - Medium, Black - dark. Only issue with them is they wear really quickly.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
This is an interesting topic.

I used 1 mm picks years ago. Switched to thinner picks and settled on 0.60 mm picks. I have a heavy right hand and often use a hybrid strum/picking technique playing lead. If I’m playing a lot of single note runs I’ll occasionally choke down on the pick to stiffen it up.

Has worked for me for years and allows me to strum chords that require rapid changes. Think “ Saturday Night’s Alright For Fightin’”.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Blue Chip TP40. Expensive as hell, but don't wear down, there's no clickity-clack string noise, and they're easy to grip lightly. I bought 2 over 5 years ago and there's no discernible wear. I have two TP35 and two thumbpicks as well. If I don't lose them I'm set for life.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I spent years playing with a purple Tortex (1.14mm) because I thought thicker picks produced a better tone and gave me more control over the dynamics.
I mostly use the purple ones---and my dynamics & picking control & sound got so much better when I did.
I can play better with that gauge--although with the extra experience since then I can deal with a lighter pick better than I could back then.

But hey--we have different hands & ears & tastes--so it's a good thing we can experiment & change if we decide to do so.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I'm using a really thick 2mm pick at the moment, because it's pretty unforgiving. I've sort of tried to reboot my playing recently. Tried to fret with a lighter touch, minimal movement of the fretting hand/arm, and a thick, smaller pick forces me to be a little more gentle and economical with movement. I think it sounds better, but that is probably also due to the complete change in playing. I might go back to thinner ones later, when I've got rid of some bad habits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After starting out with light picks, I ended up using a medium gauge tortex forever. Then a friend of mine "forced" me to really put time into the Dunlop Stiffo Jazz III. It was a difficult change, at first, but I'm very glad I stuck with it. Now I only use thick picks. Like the guy says: they give you the extra dynamics and sounds. And you can still get the light touch when you've got it down.

I really like those Blue Chip picks. I bought a Jazz 50 (no bevel) and an STP 50 (with the bevel). Both produce less of a *click* and are very fast (the beveled, esp). Tough to drop as well, which is a very good thing, as they're expensive. But they last forever so long as you don't lose 'em.

I stuck with those for awhile, but then realized that, for most of my playing styles, I tend to like to control a little bit of scrape on the string with a pick. Blue Chips are very clean in that area. Onward to the V-Picks Emerald! Small for my single coils and Medium for the humbuckers. They, too, last a long time and sound/feel great. I don't see switching over to anything else in the near (or distant) future...but who knows? I do still like and use the Blue Chips for jazz.

Small Pointed Lite Emerald Green - Guitar Picks by V-PICKS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey folks i'm joining this thread in hope’s of finding usefull hints or answer to some of my questions.

I’ve been experimenting with different brands, material and gauge of pick since a fews years now.

They really do affect the tone of your instrument. I play mostly electric guitar.

Boutique picks :

Been trying out expensive/boutique picks for some time now.

The Wegen M-100 really got my attention for quite some time now.

The BlueChip Myth Saga :

I've heard about Bluechip pick a few years ago but never made a move and never bought one. A 35$USD pick is hard to justify, since you can’t sell it if you don’t like it.

Anyway, I did buy a TD45 this week, i've paid roughtly 50$ to get it to my door in Montreal.

Impression about BC :

I’ve been using the pick for a fews hours comparing the pick to a bunch (Wegen, John Pearse, Prime Tone, Pro Plec, Read Bear,Tortex) of pick i got at the moment and BC pick really have Something unique on their own. The Feel, the tone, is special.

Bevels :

I would like to get your input about ROUND bevel Vs SPEED bevel.
What are the main difference in tone and feel are they noticable ?

I want to buy a 2nd BC in the near future i’m thinking of an all around pick like TP1R 60.

I'm asking because I beleive that with the right information and feedback I could save Big $$$ and find my perfect pick :D

If you guys can chime in and help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I recently tried the Dava and liked it enough to buy a bag.
I've been using DAVA picks now for about three years. I like how they flex and stay in my hand.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
I've been playing around with a set of wooden picks, all different hardwoods. It's really surprising the difference it makes in tone. They are not real flexible though, so they make a lot of slap and I have trouble with them moving around in my fingers during light passages. I think I'll try drilling some holes in them.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Hey folks i'm joining this thread in hope’s of finding usefull hints or answer to some of my questions.

I’ve been experimenting with different brands, material and gauge of pick since a fews years now.

They really do affect the tone of your instrument. I play mostly electric guitar.

Boutique picks :

Been trying out expensive/boutique picks for some time now.

The Wegen M-100 really got my attention for quite some time now.

The BlueChip Myth Saga :

I've heard about Bluechip pick a few years ago but never made a move and never bought one. A 35$USD pick is hard to justify, since you can’t sell it if you don’t like it.

Anyway, I did buy a TD45 this week, i've paid roughtly 50$ to get it to my door in Montreal.

Impression about BC :

I’ve been using the pick for a fews hours comparing the pick to a bunch (Wegen, John Pearse, Prime Tone, Pro Plec, Read Bear,Tortex) of pick i got at the moment and BC pick really have Something unique on their own. The Feel, the tone, is special.

Bevels :

I would like to get your input about ROUND bevel Vs SPEED bevel.
What are the main difference in tone and feel are they noticable ?

I want to buy a 2nd BC in the near future i’m thinking of an all around pick like TP1R 60.

I'm asking because I beleive that with the right information and feedback I could save Big $$$ and find my perfect pick :D

If you guys can chime in and help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
I use a TD 50 on the rare occasions when I use a pick, to me its the closest sound to using your fingernails. Pretty much zero pick click.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts