The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always been better than Guitar World.

But...

The latest issue pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm not renewing, I'm going with Guitar Player and Acoustic Guitar as my only guitar magazine subscriptions.

Guitar One has lost all it's appeal for me. I'm not sure if it just got too mainstream or what!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been so busy I haven't even had time to read the new issue. You're talking about the blues special right?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guitar Mags

I take it you are referring to the 100 greatest guitar albums of all time? Most of that list was beyond comprehension. GuitarWorlds readership is obviously just a bunch of Metalhead kids. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER ISSUE OF GW.
Guitar Player is a much classier mag that covers genres that GW wont touch.
I've been also buying the British Guitar Techniques.........great mag but I'm selective with this one as it is around 18 bucks CDN an issue although it comes with a DVD/CD.

Ray

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
I take it you are referring to the 100 greatest guitar albums of all time? Most of that list was beyond comprehension. GuitarWorlds readership is obviously just a bunch of Metalhead kids. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER ISSUE OF GW.
Guitar Player is a much classier mag that covers genres that GW wont touch.
I've been also buying the British Guitar Techniques.........great mag but I'm selective with this one as it is around 18 bucks CDN an issue although it comes with a DVD/CD.

Ray
yeah guitar techniques is a great magazine, but it's not really thick and its really expensive. but it does have great lessons. I was thinking about getting a subscription, but I don't feel like spending that kind of money.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Would you have Oct '96????? Since I've Been Lovin' You????? if so PM me

GT too expensive?????? Compared with a half hour (or less) with a decent teacher it's not such a bad deal.

I never got much from the Scott Baxter columns....but the Martin Taylor stuff is awesome and what can you say about Guthrie...

here's one, Paul Cornford told me he sat with Guthrie on a train to London and Guthrie was transcribing a Malmsteen track for GT with a walkman and a pen and paper (no axe).

....and it's all here for me to dig up if and when I get some serious quality practice time.....

I usually import the audio into my DAW so that I can loop sections

Andy

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...the product reviews in guitar one read like they were written by the manufacturer's marketing guys. guitar world is for horny teenagere boys.

-dh

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Clearly those two mags have gone down hill. I pick up the odd one now if there is a feature article on some band I like, but that's about it. I do enjoy Guitar Techniques because of the backing tracks and included tab. But they have had many duds too. I would not subscribe to it, but every once in a while they have an issue that is worth dropping the 18 clams on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts