The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
agree or disagree, i think this guy is right about alot of what he says. maybe he left out something you want to add?

what is your say on guitar myths?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Saw the video and in some cases, the examples are silly...eg. -Small hands vrs big hands ....( maybe there is a reason that necks come in all different sizes)
-analogue vrs digital ( this is just a matter of taste)
- learning theory stunts your creativity is just a plain silly thought.

Here is my one thought about this stuff...
I believe that the more effects, over driven amplifiers you put between your guitar and your final tone,
the less and less your guitar makeup ( type of wood, type of pickups, and even type of strings) becomes a factor.
What remains constant is your guitars playability ( how the neck and body feels to you while playing) .
and thats all I have to say about that.
G.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw the video and in some cases, the examples are silly...eg.
- learning theory stunts your creativity is just a plain silly thought.
agree that it's silly, but some folks really do believe that. i'm sure you've heard people make the claim (completely false) that hendrix didn't know any theory. of course it's nonsense, but somehow, people still think it.

Here is my one thought about this stuff...
I believe that the more effects, over driven amplifiers you put between your guitar and your final tone,
the less and less your guitar makeup ( type of wood, type of pickups, and even type of strings) becomes a factor.
What remains constant is your guitars playability ( how the neck and body feels to you while playing) .
and thats all I have to say about that.
G.
i would agree, and say that it's indisputable

edit: i would go so far as to say that in some scenarios, and up to a certain point, the gain and effects actually detract from your tone. i am totally guilty of using too much gain myself, alot of times. it's why i usually ask someone else to help me set my tone before a jam.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My favorite myth: If you have small hands and short fingers, you need a skinny neck. Totally wrong, and too many guitar players blindly believe this. I have small hands and fingers, and I can play a baseball bat neck with no problem, and I'm not alone. I prefer larger necks, because I get pain in my left hand on skinny necks, so consequently, I've grown to really hate these tiny little Modern C profile necks that Fender keeps trying to cram down our throats. It's the main reason why I'll no longer buy a Fender guitar; I'd rather put together partscasters with the components I want.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
My favorite myth: If you have small hands and short fingers, you need a skinny neck. Totally wrong, and too many guitar players blindly believe this. I have small hands and fingers, and I can play a baseball bat neck with no problem, and I'm not alone. I prefer larger necks, because I get pain in my left hand on skinny necks, so consequently, I've grown to really hate these tiny little Modern C profile necks that Fender keeps trying to cram down our throats. It's the main reason why I'll no longer buy a Fender guitar; I'd rather put together partscasters with the components I want.
And i am the opposite of you. If i play a big fat neck, i get cramped up within 20 minutes or so of playing. Thats why a real small radius neck works well.To each his own.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Myth #33: That EVERY guitar Gibson made in the 1970s to mid-80s was a piece of garbage...

Oh, and I have no idea whether digital is better than analog or vice versa, but I'm the guy playing the same five crappy blues riffs.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
The only myth I see is that Mr. Unknown Guitarplayer has some sort of insider information. He doesn't. He had a couple of valid points, but even a blind pig finds a truffle every now and then. And some were just Capt Obvious. Well, duhhhh.

SRV didn't use 13 gauge strings, either. He used a modified gauge with a 13 gauge hi E. That's as far as I made it. I know I didn't miss anything earth-shattering.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The only myth I see is that Mr. Unknown Guitarplayer has some sort of insider information. He doesn't. He had a couple of valid points, but even a blind pig finds a truffle every now and then. And some were just Capt Obvious. Well, duhhhh.

SRV didn't use 13 gauge strings, either. He used a modified gauge with a 13 gauge hi E. That's as far as I made it. I know I didn't miss anything earth-shattering.
That guy seems to be an idoit in most of his videos.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
And his pick attack. When I plug my Strat into my Vibroverb and play his licks, it's impossible NOT to sound a bit like him. To get the rest of the way there, I'd need to be him.
With a heavy pick, turned around to use the round/blunt edge.

I’ve started experimenting with picks again & can’t get over how great of an affect it has on my tone. 3/$1 and one of the best “mods” you can do.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Yeah even the pick material makes a difference. Fender 351 heavy looks the same as a blue tortex 1 mm but different plastic and I find the tortex to be not as bright as the fender pick.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

it wasn't intended to be an earth shattering revelation. it was only meant to inspire conversation. expecting some big revelation from youtube is a bit much, but you already know that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts