The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to all of the comments welcoming me to the site!
I'm feeling the love.

I've been taking some lessons from a guy here in my neighbourhood. He's actually quite talented (he teaches guitar, piano and trumpet). The thing is, I find the pace to be ... hmmm ... a bit "boring" - not to say that I'm not learning anything; I definitely am! But I wish it was happening FASTER.

I have tried YouTube too. There's obviously a lot of content, and some of it I find very useful.

What do my new friends out there recommend? Do I try a new instructor? Is there a better way to learn on my own?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Find an instructor who can evaluate your level accurately, therefore, put together an appropriate lesson(s)
I think Youtube can be helpful but an in the flesh instructor will probably be better...the emphasis is based on finding the right instructor, not all are equal!!!

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Like everyone said, you have to find the right instructor.

One that takes into account your goals in this unique journey! What do you want to learn? Cover songs, theory, techniques and list goes on.

One size does not fit all.

Finding a guitar teacher that really cares about what matters to you was a big challenge for me!

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I still haven't found one.

I would like to pursue the matter of getting the "right" teacher for me but that's been put on hold for now!

I find that as I play with many other musicians in a band setting I am learning quite a bit!

When you find people that are willing to help you play better, it makes a big difference in your playing obviously and the wAy you perceive yourself as a player! Having confidence in your capabilities makes a huge difference! I am finally starting to feel my confidence build at a steady pace.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
When we start out, we all want it to go faster. It very rarely happens. It may be you or it may be the teacher or a bit of both. I would start by following Budda's advice above.

Reactions: SuperHappy

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
You know how the beginning of this journey starts out, we want it now! It just doesn't unfold that way!

If you find yourself getting bored then maybe you and your teacher should modify the teaching format that he using! It should be a mutual agreement between you both. Is the material at your current skill level? Is he challenging you? Playing in a stagnant pattern is fun for no one.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

P

·
0 Posts
Are you playing acoustic or electric? It is way easier to grasp theory, scales and the fretboard on a decent electric as opposed to an acoustic.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Are you playing acoustic or electric? It is way easier to grasp theory, scales and the fretboard on a decent electric as opposed to an acoustic.
Generally, electric guitars have lighter strings making it a bit easier to fret. That is the only advantage (if you want to call it that) that I know or have ever heard of comparing an acoustic and an electric. I'm with Budda on this one. Do you know something we don't?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
is it the placement of my fingers that I've been doing wrong all of these decades?

electric

acoustic
Yes, your fingers in the top pic should be closer to the frets like in the lower pic. :)

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
I believe the same. Electric is easier because the tension on the strings is less. Albeit the string size is smaller and is a fine point to push on soft skin.

The theory is that fressing on an electric with 9-42 set is the lest amount of tension.

Also a greater attention to the nuances is possible given the amp decides your volume.

Voila.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I believe the same. Electric is easier because the tension on the strings is less. Albeit the string size is smaller and is a fine point to push on soft skin.

The theory is that fressing on an electric with 9-42 set is the lest amount of tension.

Also a greater attention to the nuances is possible given the amp decides your volume.

Voila.
Hi Sambonee. I will be in Milton next month. Could I come by and have you teach me how to fress?:)

Sorry bud, I just couldn't help myself.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts