The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a non-starter, but with heating season approaching down here in the Maritimes and a passing remark I overheard about insurance, I decided to actually take a look at my home insurance to see if they were any sub-limits for musical instruments. Turns out there is no sub-limit (instruments are covered under my contents limit) if the instruments are for personal/amateur use only. If used professionally or for compensation there is a sub-limit of $3,000. I don't have any high end stuff and don't play professionally, but if other board members gig and have vintage gear, you may want to check your policies or with your insurers to see what the deal is. For the real rare stuff you probably want to get it appraised and get a "rider" added to your policy. Probably nothing new here for most players, just a heads up for the odd one that may have forgot something as sexy as "insurance", lol.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
i did the same man last year, home owners for exemple are only insured computerwise, for 2500$ on average, that includes any Xb0x ssytems or PS2 or PS3, they are now considered computers.

I pay 150$ a year extra, that includes converage for 14 000$ of computer, 10 000$ of photogear, and 15 000$ in music gear, this way i can be safe..:)

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I have a rider for instruments, and the broker has a detailed list and photos. It's cheap peace of mind.

Do yourselves a favour and mark your instruments somehow. My electrics have my name etc in the cavity, and the acoustics under the top. Whether you scratch it in, glue a label, or have some other identifying mark doesn't really matter as long as you know where and what it is.

Peace, Mooh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts