The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one was triggered by another post and I thought that an interesting question would be - whom, out of all generally recognized guitar heroes, you don't particularly like?
I will start with some big names - for me, Joe Bonamassa and SRV .. I appreciate their talents but they don't inspire me a bit.
You don't have to go into details .. just names ...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
This one was triggered by another post and I thought that an interesting question would be - whom, out of all generally recognized guitar heroes, you don't particularly like?
I will start with some big names - for me, Joe Bonamassa and SRV .. I appreciate their talents but they don't inspire me a bit.
You don't have to go into details .. just names ...
I don't listen to either but I'm sure live, both would and would have been melt your face off amazing.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,924 Posts
Probably many of the "greats" would fall into that category for me. There are a lot of guitarists who have had an important and lasting influence/impact over the years, and I absolutely value their contribution. When I listen to them, I can hear how they influenced the guitarists whose playing I really enjoy. But, I often don't find their playing as awe inspiriting or emotionally compelling as most other people seem to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is strictly for guitar inspiration only

I love Randy Rhoads' playing and the music he produces, but for whatever reason I don't find him inspiring. Same with Tony Iommi's work, love it - but I can't say he motivates me to play or reproduce his tone. Eric Johnson, a master with all the right strokes - but I don't like his sound too much.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
So easy, it’s sad. I know how important and influential he was, I swear but after reading his autobio, I thought and think Clapton is a total asshole, instant channel change. One exception, Layla, and that’s mostly due to Duane lol.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A slippery slope to "judge" other players, but first guy who came to mind?

I'm with @Guncho +1 for Steve Vai. I like his work on Eat 'Em & Smile, but out of a band context, it's boring.

Take a guy like EVH vs a guy like Vai. Vai is "the better" player/musician/student of the instrument, but he's limited by the rules he knows. EVH did not know the rules. I would rather play with Eddie's reckless abandon than Vai's proficiency.

One Vai piece I can watch over and over is his duel from Crossroads. A great watch, but to sit through an entire concert of that? Nope!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
So easy, it’s sad. I know how important and influential he was, I swear but after reading his autobio, I thought and think Clapton is a total asshole, instant channel change. One exception, Layla, and that’s mostly due to Duane lol.
thats the opposite of most people...the riff is what people love, the really screeching slide work during the reprise make people turn the dial...in fact my wife did this yesterday lol.

·
Premium Member
17,689 Posts
And plays for an over rated singer in an over rated band. Yet I love them.
Love would fall under "inspiring" in my opinion.

I like a couple of tunes on Goat's Head Soup. Other than that not so much, and such a huge disappointment live.

I know, I know, all those fans can't be wrong...

·
Premium Member
17,689 Posts
I would have bet the house your answer was gonna be Rik Emmit, and I . (hides in bomb shelter)
Nah my only complaint with Mr. Emmit would be the buzz saw tone I heard back in their haydays. That's just a matter of taste. I would never question his skills or talents, and frankly I don't like doing that about Keef either.

It's just that the Stones and Keef in particular have never really inspired me. It's just a bit sloppier than what I like.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts