The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there im looking for a cheap good electric guitar. I have been looking at jay tursers and agiles. I was just wondering if you guys knew any good companies that have cheap electrics. IM fed up paying brand name prices and want something that is good quality but without the brand name price. Style of guitar doesn't matter cause ill check em out myself. thanks

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
There are hordes of cheap guitars out there, but the questions is would you be happy with them? Anything in that price range would need to have new guts. You will have the lowest quality chinese made pick-ups and hardware. The old saying is true when it comes to guitars. "You get what you pay for". The best option is to go used. You will get a decent if not great guitar for much less than original price. I refuse to buy new anymore. I will buy off eBay sight unseen before paying these thiefs over here the prices they are asking.

Having said all that. You would be looking at Fender Squire, some Yamaha models, Samick, Jay Turser... but you have seen the thread on the Tursers. The best low priced guitars I have seen lately would be the Epi models or the Tokai

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
You get what you pay for. When you buy a brand name or a custom shop guitar from a small builder you are paying for quality. If youre going to go the budget route there are some playable guitars out there for few bucks. Alot of people like the Agiles. I found Squires to be good for the little cashola you actually pay. In that range, I think you'd be better off getting something used.................

·
Registered
48 Posts
definately go used. just search around in some guitar stores that carry used stuff. keep looking, one day you'll find something decent. i got a fender strat for $300, great condition. i dont know where youre from or anything but Belones in London has some good used guitars sometimes. The only other idea i could see would be buying a cheap asian copy of something and just putting new p-ups in it... those things are everywhere these days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agiles are definitly worth their price. Pickups and hardware are not cheap (wax potted pickups, grover tuners). I think they're just as good, if not better than some epiphone models.

The only thing is, you've got to bring them in from the US, so be prepared to pay broker / customs fees (to the likes of about 100 cad$)

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WEll thats what I thought about the agiles. I read they had good pickups and tuners. THey're real cheap to. Otherwise I will start checkin out the used area in the shops. IM from cambridge and aurora during the school year. Would you guys reccomend putting new pickups in my epi les paul instead of searchin for a new cheap guitar? If so which kind? I was thinkin maybe gibson pickups.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Agile LP $149.00

The New, Low Cost, High Value Spectacular !
Single cutaway solid Mahogany arch top body
High quality wax potted ceramic humbucker pickups for improved sound
Full body and neck binding
Set-in Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard and trapezodial inlays
22 Jumbo 2.7mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play
Grover Die Cast tuners
Two volume & two tone controls and a 3-way pickup selector switch help you find your sound
Stop-Bar tailpiece transfers string vibration to the body of the guitar and produces superior sustain
Popular Black finish with Gold hardware
Made in Korea
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16"
Neck Taper is 21.5 mm at the 1st fret and 23.5 mm at the 12th fret
Thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16"
Overall length, including the strap button: 40"; Scale length: 24.7"
Bridge pole spacing is 3", and the Tail piece pole spacing is 3 1/4"
Width at the widest point: 13"
Body thickness 2" at edge
Actual Weight is only 10 lbs

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
walden said:
i dont know where youre from or anything but Belones in London has some good used guitars sometimes.
They also have a really nice Vantage 5 string bass for sale on consignment. I think you should buy that one. ;)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well, I'm not a guitarist, but if they're anything like the basses, you could check out SX guitars from Rondo. http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

I'm looking at getting an SX jazz fretless.
For around $130 US ($250CAN shipped to your door in a week), and a $20 wiring/pot kit from Stew-Mac, http://www.stewmac.com/ , you would end up with a guitar as good or better than a MIM strat or Tele. With a set of pickups and a bridge, you have a guitar much nicer than a MIM Fender for about the same price.

Lots of bassists on another forum I visit have these basses and swear they are the real deal with at least the pots changed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
tokai or agile.
I have both and the electronics in them are fine.
never again will I pay over 1500 for a guitar.

·
Registered
788 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Thats a nice looking guitar SCREEM

TOKAI LOVE ROCK ECLIPSE GUITAR
DLX 2004 SUNBURST
only thing I dont like on the imports is the 1-5/8th nut...i prefer the wider 1-11/16th, asians have smaller hands you know :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you like the feel of your epi LP new pickups would definatly improve the sound. I used to have a goldtop epi LP and put a set of SDs in (Jazz and JB in bridge). I also changed out the 3 way. It sounded great. Right now I have a SD 59 and Custom 5 in my Ibanez SZ wich gives more of a classic rock tone. You can always look at Yamaha, Ibanez and Godin for some good guitars in the $400 range.

Tarl

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
id check it out if i play bass. I think im gonna look at putting new pickups in my epiphone les pual. Any suggestions on pickups? What are the normal rates for having them installed. The shop by my place charges 50$

1 - 20 of 37 Posts