The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, fellow canadian guitarheads!

I'm a beginner on a budget, so I didn't go too crazy. Help me make some last minute changes before I click the submit button.

I would have used musiciansfriend.com, but not every item ships to canada. music123 ftw!

I

·
0 Posts
The pickups on that OLP are garbage. So is the construction. Come to think of it the neck finish is the only thing on that guitar I can find anything nice to say about. Can you swing a MiM Fender Strat or Tele instead? It's just a better bang for your buck. Gibson branded strings wouldn't be my first choice, I prefer D'Addario's. Try out a pack of EXL120s. If you can swing a few extra dollars buy a better cable, maybe a Planet Waves. And I'd buy an Epi Valve Jr. or a Fender G-DEC instead of a Spider but the Spider is not a bad entry-level amp.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah. I think a MIM strat would be a good choice if you can swing it - especially used, there's some on craigslist or whatever. Have you gone to a guitar store to try guitars? I see that you live in Kitchener - there's Sherwood music and L&M in Waterloo. I too prefer D'Addario strings but *shrugs*. And I don't really have much to comment on about the amp.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mmmkay, suggestion 1: don't actually buy from Music123. It's American I believe and you'll get nailed with those not-so-pretty brokerage fees! If you want a rough idea of prices, check out LAMusic.ca or AxeMusic.com!

Guitar, yeah like iaresee said above it's really not too good. I was thinking about getting one 'cause I figured 'Sweet, EVH -style axe on a budget.' but it's seriously terrible dude lol.

Strings, not a terrible choice but Dean Markley would be my choice (those little suckers stay bright forever and then some).

Cables, again I agree with iaresee... Planet Waves are a lot better (if you're playing sitting down make sure you get a right angled one on atleast one end! Saves time re-soldering them!).

Amp isn't too bad for a beginner... check out the Roland Cube and the Vox Valvetronix too.

Welcome, by the way!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Amp isn't too bad for a beginner... check out the Roland Cube and the Vox Valvetronix too.
Yeah, the brokerage fees & duty probably won't be pretty. I forgot about the Vox Valvetronix - I tried a bunch of those and really liked them.

And welcome from me too -where are my manners going?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys :rockon:

I'll check out some local stores, I didn't even know about sherwood and L&M. I'll also look on craigslist and ebay for a used MIM (made in mexico?) strat, my budget can't go over 350 though.

What are your general thoughts on the Line 6 amp? I've been reading very mixed reviews... I'll check out the cube, the vox seems too pricey for me.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Line 6 isn't terrible at all but the Cube and the Vox are a lot better IMO. Modelling is a good way to start... all the different tones you can get could be inspiring and handy for covering tunes (which is likely where you'll start!). My main beef with all Line 6 products is the chorus effect sounds too digital.

Plus you'll upgrade later... no matter how hard you try and fight it :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
The general opinion of the Line 6 Spider is fairly low on this Forum. Vox Valvetronix has a much higher approval rating. I would check your local music stores to compare prices. There are also warranty issues when you purchase from the states. I have no idea about the guitar you've selected. If it is a strat style, you may want to consider a Yamaha Pacifica. Prices have dropped somewhat in Canada due to the lousy American dollar.

I've heard that a couple of Kitchener stores aren't bad. Some people from London come up to KW because the stores are better.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If your budget can't go over 350 then I really wouldn't recommend buying for music123 because you're very likely going to get dinged for brokerage fees. I'm going to suggest buying your amp used as well - 14% tax really takes a big chunk out of your budget. Other guitars that you might consider - I've played some really nice Yamahas, Squiers and Epiphones but whatever guitar you choose, consider getting it professionally set up (or at least, get a friend to set it up) because that really makes a difference. Cables... L&M has 20' Apex cables for like 10 bucks - I have one and I prefer my Planet Waves one, but it works. *shrugs*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey Jane - wanna set up my guitar when I buy it? :D

Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like you have some experience with these stores. Will they let me plug in and play, to test out all the guitars?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Jane - wanna set up my guitar when I buy it? :D

Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like you have some experience with these stores. Will they let me plug in and play, to test out all the guitars?
Lol. I wouldn't trust me to do more than change strings and set intonation, tbh. (Or at least, I wouldn't trust me to set up someone else's guitar.) Yeah, they'll let you plug in and play - at least, I've never been told no and I'm a terrible guitarist. Or usually someone will ask if you want them to play something - which is what I did when I was starting out and couldn't play more than 3 or 4 chords.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
its a good idea to always try out the guitar you bring home - you want to know it's comfortable and doesnt have anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Check Craigslist. I see reasonable guitar and amp packages all the time. You can get something decent for $350 and upgrade as you progress. I recently saw a Valvetronix 30 watt for $200 on the Vancouver CS....

·
Premium Member
17,314 Posts
I have been going to Sherwood Music for years.

The folks there are very helpful and friendly. They have a great selection of guitars and amps at virtually all price points. They also (usually) have gear that is on consignment or has been traded in. Sherwood also carries a very large selection of parts and accessories for guitars.

Sherwood Systems is in the same building and is fun to have a look at. Mics, stage equipment, lighting, PA systems, rackmount gear, DJ equipment, etc.

Sherwood Music have both guitar repair/setup services (ask for Mike) and amp repair services (ask for Rich at Amplifiers Plus ....to the left as you go through the front door).

Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I buy from these US stores all the time. Brokerage fees are not as bad as everyone says they are, at least not on lower value orders. You do get hit with taxes though and they end up being substantially higher then the brokerage fees. Some of the deals you can get online are still cheaper then buying locally even after combining all the brokerage and shipping fees.

If you do your homework, you can save a ton of dough, but most of the time you are better off buying locally.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys :rockon:

I'll check out some local stores, I didn't even know about sherwood and L&M. I'll also look on craigslist and ebay for a used MIM (made in mexico?) strat, my budget can't go over 350 though.

What are your general thoughts on the Line 6 amp? I've been reading very mixed reviews... I'll check out the cube, the vox seems too pricey for me.
...if you can get to a long and mcquade store by the end of this month, you can take advantage of their six months no financing sale, which really makes a purchase like this painless. they will also give you a free set up, as well as reliable warranties.

i think the line six amp is good bang for your buck.

but, don't get too carried away with all the fancy effects etc...you need to appreciate the joy of playing clean and unaffected occasionally!

:smile:

-dh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts