The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, technically, all of them work, but do they sound good?

Some I have NOT tried but have a good rep include:
-Swollen Pickle, though allegedly the bass end can be overwhelming
-Diamond compressor....I believe the bass comp is the same but an added switch to change the tone focus
-DOD Carcosa fuzz. If one ever lands here and I see it I'll probably grab it

That I own or have tried and sound good:
-DOD Looking Glass overdrive, has a good range of distortion, and in its bass knob
-SGFX Imperial, is a Big Muff with a mids add switch, so it doesn't disappear in a mix
-Hardwire CM2 overdrive, has a very bass friendly bass tone knob, has more/clearer available distortion than a typical tube screamer
-TC Spark Booster, for clean boost or light grit is outstanding on bass, as it is on guitar
-Empress Compressor, allegedly one of the very best stompbox bass compressors around. Is an integral part of my sound from the day I got one. Very very uncoloured and full range. Expensive. Worth it.
-Fairfield Accountant comp. Just got one today, after reading the Ovnilab review. Definitely has a flavour/colour to it, which I wanted. I hear a slight bass loss, will have to see how it is in band mix. Sounds great solo in the basement at pretty decent volume.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Pedals I have that I use for both-
TC Electronics Sub N Up (Octave pedal--I use different setting though with each)
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Has separate guitar & bass inputs--and I like it better with bass than guitar--although I like it with both.)
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Dunlop Volume Pedal

And the Dano Fish & Chips EQ works okay.

The others sort of work on bass--but nothing I would use a lot.
If I were to use a distortion on my bass it would probably be my Empress Distortion.

Reactions: keto

·
Registered
662 Posts
Of course, technically, all of them work, but do they sound good?

Some I have NOT tried but have a good rep include:
-Swollen Pickle, though allegedly the bass end can be overwhelming
I have the swollen pickle on my bass board. The low end can be overwhelming, but the SP is just one of those pedals where little changes make such a big difference in the sound. There's a lot to tweak on the SP, 5 knobs on the outside plus two internal trim pots. It took a long time for me to dial it in, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it's a fun pedal if you can grab one for a good price.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a Boss VF-1 which is an older studio and guitar/bass multi-effects unit. It has a couple of bass amp models, a bass effects chain and lots of patches for bass. But the best patch for bass, called Clean Heads, is built from a guitar effects chain.

It's a super simple patch, it is only using a compressor, an eq and a noise suppressor [which I always turn off].

The compressor is like a CS-3, I think, but the eq is not like any of their pedals, it's partially parametric.

I think you could get pretty close using a CS-3 and an amp or a preamp, scoop the mids.

I've been able to recreate that patch on a BR-600 and a GT-001.

You could make a lot of money if you put that sound in an amp.

FYI the settings are
Compressor
Sustain 45 (of 100)
Attack 15 (of 100)
Level 80 (of 100)
Tone 0 (6 o'clock, flat)

EQ
Low Gain +6 db
Hi Gain +6 db
Level 0 (flat, no gain, 0 db)
Low Mid Frequency 630hz
Low Mid Q 1
Low Mid Gain -9 db
Hi Mid Frequency 3.15hz
Hi Mid Q 2
Hi Mid Gain +7 db
Lo Cut Flat
Hi Cut Flat

Noise Supressor [don't use it]
Threshold 100 (of 100)
Release 25 (of 100)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pedals that I had bought for guitar but wound up staying on my bass board instead:

Boss OC-2 (for fretless)
Mu-Fx Tru-Tron 3X
Boss CE-5
Boss DM-2W (set to very low delay time and repeat, for a faux reverb/ambience sound)

·
Registered
24,164 Posts
A lot of pedals can be easily modded to "work with bass". For instance, the biggest change to make an envelope filter more suitable for bass is simply shifting the range of the filter sweep down an octave. The old Mu-tron III had a switch to do that (which is part of why it was popular with bassists), but there's not much to adapting other pedals. F'rinstance, the venerable Dr. Q uses the same old bandpass filter, whose range is set by two 4700pf caps. Locate them on the board, add a second pair of 4700pf caps in parallel by tacking them onto the copper side of the board, and you have a bass-suitable Dr. Q.

Some pedals do entirely appropriate things to the bass signal, but are based on an assumed sensitivity that is calibrated for guitar level, and easily swamped by a bass-level signal. There, it is simply a matter for modding the sensitivity of the pedal.

It's funny, you know. You would think that someone would have produced and marketed a box that adapts bass guitars to be better matched with guitar pedals. Could be a market there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Here is what I have used I the past.

Ibanez TS9DX
Boss CE -2
Strymon Timeline
Green/Black Big Muffs
Empress Fuzz
Digitech whammy

Now I mainly use a line 6 helix lt.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts

Got this on clearance at LM. $79.

Anyway the distortion on it has a great tone and blend feature. Also the clean channel has a smoothness and fullness that's hard to replicate.

I actually enjoy bass with delay. It's not a mainstay but adds cool texture for the right spots. .

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts

Got this on clearance at LM. $79.

Anyway the distortion on it has a great tone and blend feature. Also the clean channel has a smoothness and fullness that's hard to replicate.

I actually enjoy bass with delay. It's not a mainstay but adds cool texture for the right spots. .
Do you use the distortion in a band mix? It is the only bad point I herd about the M80.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Solidgoldfx Formula 76 is outstanding. Maxon CP9+ comp makes everything sound better. Earthquaker Devices Depths brings some seismic whommmmp pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a new favourite bass OD, the Green Rhino half of a Camel Toe. The 100hz knob is absolute magic, as a lover of low mids I run it maxed or verrrrry close, adds lots of fatness. As with most OD's, for me it's volume up//gain down pretty low. Won't sound great with every rig, but with 2 different amps, 2 different cabs, and 3 different basses tested, it's firmly established as important for me.

Been messing around with flangers. Currently, the MXR micro, which is OK (had to position it after dirt, put before the effect disappears) but has a real metallic first note/attack that I don't dig, dial down the REGEN and you can make it go away but then the effect is too subtle. Probably going back and looking for other options. I want a real jet swoosh, nothing subtle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts