The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't use impulses or amp sims, as i would rather my recordings reflect what i have, so
With the current state of affairs, i havent had an amp on since before march break...and am itching to get some ideas down...even with the amp on 3 its too loud, so im told

I was thinking of building a 24x32x40" box with 2x4's, filling the cavities with 4" roxul batts, and the lining the inside with 1" roxul comfortboard, including the plywood lid and on the floor; finishing the outside with plywood...i was also thinking of drilling a 3" hole at the front and back, in the plywood, so that air could get in...this give a few extra inches in width, and enough length to get a mic stand in...i figued the lid would be fine with just the 1" comfortboard as the majority of sound would be pushing forward, not up

I mic right up on the cab, so 'room' sound isnt an issue (if i do need room, it will need to wait until everyone is back at work/school)

Think this will work, and be quiet enough that i can get the amp up a bit more into a sweet spot?mor a waste of money? With all of the roxul, would the corners still need to be angled, or would the roxul kill enough of the sound?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why the ply wood woyld only be on the outside...with the roxul between the studs, and thr comfort board infront of it all...there would be no signal seeing the 2x4
As for overheating...the head would be sitting on top, not in with the cabinet
By roxul, i meant the rock slag insulation used for sound

Will check out the link

Edit...after looking at the link, thats essentially what i would be doing

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
Edit...after looking at the link, thats essentially what i would be doing
Looks like a good design, eh. Kinda big maybe. No hard surfaces inside (not even the EDGES of wood). No studs in other words, they will transmit to the outside, bypassing the Roxul. What is "comfort board"?

Thats perfect with your head outside!

Good luck with the project.

EDIT:
LOL! I didn't realize that second "photo" was actually a nifty video showing the whole thing. Pretty cool what the young fella did there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree - get a 1x12 cab and reasonable speaker and run a speaker cable in. As was explained to me - sound is like water and if it finds a way to flow out it will so those 3” holes to let in air for the amp will let a lot of sound out too. And your amp would likely still overheat. Otherwise a great idea.

Of course we’d all love to see pics when you’ve built it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts