The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guitar i purchased yesterday seemed good an all but after learning to play the C major scales, just when i take my finger off the string ends with a slight buzzing sound. also when i don't press down on the strings hard enough i get a buzz.

is this normal? how can i fix this?

·
Registered
697 Posts
The second part is normal, you just have to push hard enough to let the sound ring out. If you're new to guitar you'll quickly learn the right amount of pressure to apply to make a note ring.
As for the first part I'm not sure, sorry.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
it means there are bees trapped inside of your tremolo cavity....

actually it could be that your action is too low...your truss rod needs adjustment....or your frets are uneven.

dont touch the truss rod adjustment, as you are a beginner and could really mess up your guitar.

You might want to make your "action" a bit higher. Why guitar do you have?
heres a guide to help you...but if you are not confident in what you are doing...you MIGHT want a professional to do it, though it might cost you a bit. Its not really very hard, so yeah, read up on it first and then maybe try it if your confident enough. You dont really have anything to risk when setting the action...pretty safe I would say.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm

now ask yourself why you didn't buy a hamm guitar lol....just kidding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It just means you guitars may need a setup. Most people aren't to picky about this because the store ussually setup the guitar with a low acton when you buy them. People prefer low actionw ith a little buzzing than high action with alot of buzzing. Its really up to you, you can take it in to get setup and tell him to kill the buzzing, or you can leave it. Or you can study up on guitar setup (it takes practice and time to learn it all well). If its only slight buzzing I wouldn't bother, low action is ideal for most people. good luck

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I could mean that you just haven't played enough yet. Get someone who has played for a while to play it and see if they get the same buzzing. If they do then your guitar needs some adjustments. If they don't then keep practicing.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Like Kat said, you might just need a little practice and the buzzing may be just a product of your developing thechnique.

However, when you release a note and there is a slight buzzing, this could be one of two (or more) things.

The first is that you may need a truss rod adjustment, and this is not something that a beginner should attempt on their own. Take it back to where you bought it and they will likely fix it up for you on the spot.

The second issue could be that the nut slots are cut too deep, or you genneraly don't have enough nut height. This will cause open strings to buzz, but fretted notes will sound O.K. There are a few quick fixes for this as well that you can have done at the store where you bought it.

Either of these issues can be attributed to changing the strings from the guage that the guitar was originally set up with, and do not necessarily indicate that there are any serious issues with the guitar that you bought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts