The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I just wrapped up my first ever guitar builds and thought i'd share some pic's here as well showcasing a pictorial of the entire process.
For this build I used plan's I purchased from Bartlett guitar parts, along with close measurements of my '56 Junior, and fellow forum member Swervin55's '55 junior.

Hope you enjoy!

Using a granite countertop I flatten the back of the board. I found I was able to get the truest dead flat surface using a belt sander belt cut open, onto of the granite.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few teasers of the finished products.
In the end I did 3 variations of a TV finish.
One relic'd with a Cocobolo board (because i've always wanted a TV junior), and two NOS jr's with ebony boards, with slight variations/approaches to the base coats.

I also cut my own pickgaurds for all 3 by templating my '56 Junior's pickguard. I made one from a faux tortoise shell like material just to change things up and then used black flat topped philips screws.
I spent way too long sanding and polishing the edges of the non-relic'd 2 guitars' pick guards, but in person, up close, the end result was worth it for me.
The relic'd one I stayed true to vintage accuracy and left the tooling marks around the perimeter, more on that when we get to that part of the build.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I love these build threads because I am a klutz and have been know to draw blood changing strings on several occasions.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Amazing. Saw your pics in the other thread and you've got some mad skills. Btw, what kind of camera/lens setup are you using?

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, artistic, precise work. Congratulations!

In addition, your photography is amazing. You are a very talented fellow.

I'll bet you workshop is the envy of any woodworkers that see it (based on the pictures).

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amazing. Saw your pics in the other thread and you've got some mad skills. Btw, what kind of camera/lens setup are you using?
Thanks!
My camera setup is getting pretty long in the tooth; however, I've learned to use it to the fullest so it continues to serve me well. Its a Canon Rebel Xti, 9 years old now almost, and the lens I usually go to is a 50mm f1.8.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Everything looks fantastic and Marvin has been keeping me updated on the progress, I'm excited to see it in person. Great job on the build and the photography.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, artistic, precise work. Congratulations!

In addition, your photography is amazing. You are a very talented fellow.

I'll bet you workshop is the envy of any woodworkers that see it (based on the pictures).

Cheers

Dave
You said everything I was thinking. I don't usually get jealous, but man, I would love to own some of those tools.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts