The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

guitar/amp repair in halifax

9K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  RBlakeney 
#1 ·
i need a bit of work done on my guitar and an amp servicing... anyone know of a competent luthier/tech in the hrm (preferably halifax itself)?

#3 ·
For guitar service I would recommend Doug Sampson. He's at the Musicstop in Bedford - I personally would not take my guitar to anyone else around here. The downside is - they work on a queue system, so you have to leave your guitar there until he get's to it. Amp techs - I'm not too sure of. Good that your doing your homework here.

#5 ·
how bout for a neck reset?(on a archtop acoustic if that makes a difference) where? and how much?

#8 ·
On the amp front- what is the amp and what do you need done? I do all my own amp repairs/mods and may be able to help you out. When you've got a lot of tube amps (like me) it's worth it to do your own work.

gtrguy
hey gtrguy... its a vht pitbull 45 combo, and i really have no idea what's wrong with it. tried to fire it up the lights went on but when i hit the standby button it just shut down (light turned off and all that). any idea what it could be???

#13 ·
sorry for the delay guys. too busy playing through my amp to post!

well i called tom abriel and took the amp down to his place. turns out it was just a weak rectifier tube that was blowing the fuse (and prolly why it wasnt sounding 100% when it did work). replaced the fuse and rectifier tube and it is now sounding unreal. i think tom was impressed with the amp.

anyhow thanks guys for the recs... never would have found tom w/out you folks! props

as for the guitar, i think i can prolly fix whats wrong with it... but am thinking about getting an rs upgrade kit for all of the electronics anyways. so we'll see.

p.s. if anyone needs their amp or guitar serviced in the hrm give tom a call. he seemed like a really genuine and cool dude who knows his shit.

#15 ·
Hey, got another if anybody is still kickin. Need some structural repair to my acoustic, it was bullied through an airport up north and got a crack on the corner of the face (where i rest my right arm). The face is pulled up a little bit and looking for a cheap way to get it back together. Or anybody who could do it for me around Halifax.

Cheers

#16 ·
gtrguy

hey hows it going i havea 60's regal tube amp im wondering how hard it is to find the right set of tubes to go in it ?? if ya could help me out that would be great i cant find much on em other then it says selfix japan 2 of the bigger ones say 6x4 and the 3 little ones say 6a v6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.