1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I like both. The first has more of those airy/dry overtones that I (sometimes) associate with a filtertron, gold foil, etc. and tends to feel a bit farther away (if that makes sense) The second has a more focused/direct and rounder tone that is a bit creamier and sweeter.

So, I'd say it depends on where you'd prefer to take it and perhaps whether it may sit in a mix with other instruments at some point.

Beautiful playing and composition. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
First off, brilliant playing. And yes, i cant decide either. Both excellent tone. All depends what you like i guess.
Congrats on your playing ( and this compliment from a guy who just saw Pat Metheny last week !!! )

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, brilliant playing. And yes, i cant decide either. Both excellent tone. All depends what you like i guess.
Congrats on your playing ( and this compliment from a guy who just saw Pat Metheny last week !!! )
Thanks. It's the intro to my most recent piece of music. I'm really trying to figure out if I have an actual need or use for the new guitar I just picked up. I'm really not a collector and I get pretty neurotic about these things.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Personally for solo guitar I'd prefer B. The A sound warmer, maybe more traditional but the B has more clarity, almost bell like, reminds me of Ted Greene tone on Solo Guitar, that would be my preference.

·
Premium Member
29,038 Posts
It's A all the way for me. B doesn't sound "bad", but it sounds like a guitar, and A sounds like a great singer up close to the mic. For that sort of material, I like a vocal tone, and A gets that. It's that intimate tone that I love about parlour guitars. It's the difference between Christina Aguilera 10 feet away, and Lauren Bacall beside you on the couch talking romance.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
I didn't even have to listen all the way through the second one *(but I did). I much preferred the first one.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm going with option A after hearing that it will not be in a mix. I find that it's ever so slightly on the edge of being "boomy" but it's very, very, nice and perhaps never crosses that threshold. Overall I think it's a wonderful balance. The bottom end does what I associate with beautiful recordings of unaccompanied piano. The top end is smooth, never harsh. On option B, I miss the warm low end of option A, and sometimes the higher end in option B is a little too crispy - it's obviously clearer and more defined though than option A.

Oh... and your playing is gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,958 Posts
For that piece of music I like the first one better. Obviously nothing wrong with second one but the music is to my mind a little dark and contemplative which to me sorta fits the first guitar.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I prefer sample 1 for the reasons stated above.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts