The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was browsing new guitars a few months back, I had initially planned on buying used. It ultimately backfired when I saw the LP studio hanging on the wall, but I did spend a few days first trying to justify it in every way I could.

One of the things that I realized was starting to mean something to me, was the story a guitar can tell. All the scratches, or dents, or wear marks, give a history, and I wanted this particular guitar to tell my story.. not somebody else’s.
I would know the worn frets and the worn finish on the neck was from all the time I spent learning new riffs.. I wanted to have a story for every dent or scuff mark on the body.

Fast forward a few months, I’m giving it a good look over, there’s some rough scratching on the underside where the pick guard attaches, a very pronounced dent in the opposite side, the bottom of the truss rod cover has a piece chipped out...

And... I couldn’t tell you how a single one of those happened..
So I’m realizing it’s not my story,and that it has its own story.
Either way, I don’t think this will be one I ever part with.

How do you guys feel about the battle scars on your guitars?

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
I put most of them there, despite the fact that two of them are used haha (3 including the one I don't play anymore). My satin finish guitar has dings where I don't know how most of them arrived.

I don't really care if someone else has dinged up a guitar, just means it's probably more affordable for me.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Guitars, cars, tools, furniture, people...all have their stories, some are obvious and some remain hidden, but they all form personality and character.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be...

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Just sand them out or cover them/fix them with something else. Then everything you see will be something you did to make it your own.

My Monty damage is all mine. I had to figure out a couple due to drinking while the damage was done. I also know that my son's friend kicked a soccer ball at my guitars in the basement and did damage.

I used to walk around my old house with the guitar on and bang it off stuff without thinking.

The only mark I'm not good with is some pick damage. I was taking a bit of the finish off every time I raked upwards with this massive V-Pick. I was focusing on getting that thunderous "E' note that Angus gets while unknowingly taking the finish with it. I still think I'm going to sand it one day.

I also fuck it up at my desk while I'm learning from Youtube.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I get upset at myself when I do it and minute or so later I forget it. There's no use crying about spilled milk. Life's too short for that.

However, I am very careful with my guitars and they stay looking pristine for a long time except for neck and fret wear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This bugs me as well as I try to baby my guitars and yet new scratches appear. Especially on my French Polished classical guitar, it seems like if I look at it the wrong way a new mark appears. There is nail rash below the sound hole (from the previous owner) and a couple of shallow scratches if you shine the light on it just right. It is hard to even wipe it down without putting shallow marks on it. Nothing too drastic but it is there. I know I can have it touched up by a good luthier but I am afraid of changing the tone.

Oh well, I am getting more marks on me as well. I guess my guitars are aging along with me.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The very first ding on my brand Taylor 510 (while inacurately putting it back in her case) made me as ashamed as the first scratch on the hood of my no more brand new car at the grocery store parking (someone clearly slipped a package on the hood !). Another ding happened while a capo slipped from my hand... then another kicking her against the sheet music stand. That was it !

A brand new anything loose in market value while used, but get more personal value as it is well used, I think.

Then as I bought some oldies (Gibson Lg-0 1965 and Guild F-30R 1973) and wondered how dings, scratches and finish worn outs were got. Like the scars on the back of a Dobro Hound Dog clearly caused by those big country style buckles !

I do care for my beauties, but I finally accepted that normal use and accidents will always leave some traces on them as well as we also get marked by life.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I have a really nice ding on my Parker and was so upset when it happened! I was lazy and gently tossed my laptop on to the bed without realizing how close it was to the guitar. It hit it in the lower left quadrant right near the tone control, Right down to bare wood. I saved the chips. Glued the chips in like a puzzle! Filled it in with a black permanent marker. Voila, instant half assed fix.

My hubby was adamant that my Parker be in pristine shape and was willing to pay 85 cents minute to have it fixed. I told him I didn’t want it fixed! The scar is ugly but I was the one that did it. I just wanted it left the way it was.

My SG has so many wounds that are blatantly revealed to the naked eye. A nice ding on the back of the neck from where I don’t know. I didn’t buy it like that. It has crazy buckle rash on the back from the previous owner. Let it be.

However, I do not let it bother me anymore. There are more important things in life to worry about.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Scratches and dents don’t bother me; my strat literally looks like it was dragged behind a truck for a block or so. I’ll have to get a pic of it, now that I have it back in my possession.

My SGJ is all me though; I can see where I gouged a huge chunk when I hit it off the night stand, and I can still see the divot where it was hit with a beer bottle..

I treat my instruments well, and do regular setups and maintenance, but I’m not afraid to breathe in their direction either. I would say that the nicest instrument in my collection is only about a 9/10 in terms of aesthetic condition, and others would probably rate it lower than that.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
I don't really care about "stories". Scratches, dents etc to me are all about esthetics and resale value.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Battle scars are fine even if they are not mine. For a long time i would feel really bad when i bumped or scratched a guitar but got over it. Nowadays, i prefer to have something that has been loved and played.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I don't mind guitars with some scars at all, especially when it's a way to get a bit of a deal. And on older guitars you obviously expect some.

I saw a Squier CV Tele I really liked on Kijiji the other day where the seller was asking the going used rate for one in perfect condition. He has it listed as "minor scars, relics". Somehow on the top of the guitar both below the control panel, and on the top of the horn there were 2 areas where actually chunks of wood were missing. So that I don't really dig.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If my guitars got too marked up, they would get refinished. I will even fix up little nicks. I'm like Guncho, I like them looking as pristine as possible.

Reactions: mawmow
1 - 20 of 40 Posts