The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The limited edition Earthquaker Devices Black Ash Fuzz Blend pedal. Steve's has them for $249.00. It contains NOS components that the amp repair guys always immediately rip out of any amp lol.

Not sure when it will ship. I hope Steve's doesn't pull their usual stunt of overselling and then cancelling orders or I'll be really pissed.

Capture.PNG

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Nice!

But why steves over a mom and pop or l&m?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Good one! Thanks for the laugh.

@1SweetRide Congrats!
Let us know what you think of the pedal once you have tried it.

This pic is for @mhammer , also living in Auto-Wah

I've been kinda m'eh on EQD lately. Seem overhyped and overpriced for what they really are. Like this guy here, sure, carbon resistors can be a bit crunchier if the signal path is all full of them, but the core of the pedal - the transistors (looks like it's not a diode clipping type - only one in there and it looks like power supply related; basic 4000 series... actually what I assumed were blue caps may be NOS diodes, but I doubt it and still: come on) are all run of the mill modern stuff.... and that surface mount IC. Nothing wrong with those inherently (I recently raved about the Caroline Shigeharu which is an IC based fuzz), but that they gonna try and act as if this is full of expensive NOS parts (those resistors are actually probably new prod vs NOS - they still make them - and even if NOS, not particularly expensive, esp in bulk).

I miss the day when such a marketting push meant all discrete (no ICs) circuit built of no other gain stages aside from NOS transistors. No that doesn't mean it's better or even the bees knees, but it was honest.

Now what I am excited to try (and compare to the Caroline) is the new Black Rose fuzz.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I miss the day when such a marketting push meant all discrete (no ICs) circuit built of no other gain stages aside from NOS transistors.
I'm guessing the surface mount IC is probably a micro controller for the relay based switching system and not part of the audio path.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I'm guessing the surface mount IC is probably a micro controller for the relay based switching system and not part of the audio path.
Agreed. I could let that go, but it's all like 5088s (or similar) for the gain stages. Though there is something to be said that if you are trying to do a vintagey fuzz with NOS parts then maybe you don't go that way (I'm not bothered personally but I accept that argument as having some validity). Like I said, I'm no snob about these things (with the exception of SMD stuff - not that it's bad - just mini versions of regular through hole parts as the JHS dude said in that pedal myth vid, just that it is nearly impossible to fix, and the line that it's more reliable is a big fat lie in my experience - what it is is cheaper to make with less QC issues at the factory; not the same as long term reliability - that's where I disagreee with him/that vid... it is a little self-serving to say that when you've just started doing SMD based products yourself); it's about honesty and integrity in the advertising for these things (and the JHS vlog vids, make no mistake, are marketting).

Caveat emptor; trust no one.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. I could let that go, but it's all like 5088s (or similar) for the gain stages. Though there is something to be said that if you are trying to do a vintagey fuzz with NOS parts then maybe you don't go that way (I'm not bothered personally but I accept that argument as having some validity). Like I said, I'm no snob about these things (with the exception of SMD stuff - not that it's bad - just mini versions of regular through hole parts as the JHS dude said in that pedal myth vid, just that it is nearly impossible to fix, and the line that it's more reliable is a big fat lie in my experience - what it is is cheaper to make with less QC issues at the factory; not the same as long term reliability - that's where I disagreee with him/that vid... it is a little self-serving to say that when you've just started doing SMD based products yourself); it's about honesty and integrity in the advertising for these things (and the JHS vlog vids, make no mistake, are marketting).

Caveat emptor; trust no one.
I bought it because I liked the tones and not for the paper and oil caps which make me nervous.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I bought it because I liked the tones and not for the paper and oil caps which make me nervous.
There's nothing wrong with that. To be clear I am not commenting on whether or not this pedal is a worthy purchase; if it's any good or not - I've not even watched any of the demos, my point was about a bit of a shift I see in the just-a-bit-more-mass-market-than-boutique pedal market (as in EQD presents themselves as boutique, but uh, with their current market share and large scale assembly floor I am not sure that is a fair statement anymore - not that there's anything wrong with being a larger maker, just that they straddle this weird middle ground).

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I'd love to a/b this with my Analogman 3 knob bender, you have a standing invite to bring it over to my house.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Why do they make you nervous?
They are old and even if OK, they tend to make things around them greasy.... and that's when they're not leaking.

No good reason to use those IMO. If I did I'd wrap the bugger in saran.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's nothing wrong with that. To be clear I am not commenting on whether or not this pedal is a worthy purchase; if it's any good or not - I've not even watched any of the demos, my point was about a bit of a shift I see in the just-a-bit-more-mass-market-than-boutique pedal market (as in EQD presents themselves as boutique, but uh, with their current market share and large scale assembly floor I am not sure that is a fair statement anymore - not that there's anything wrong with being a larger maker, just that they straddle this weird middle ground).
Is it about units sold, handcrafting, unique artwork? What moves them from boutique to mass market?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Is it about units sold, handcrafting, unique artwork? What moves them from boutique to mass market?
I wasn't presuming to be the one to define that, but at some point you definately reach a units sold threshold that makes you not boutique anymore. Same thing happened to ZVex.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts