The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Were those clips really from a gig? They sound more like they were done in a studio type setting.

There's a big difference! Anything can sound good in a studio. Or if everything on stage is miked into the board.

And MP3 quality is FAR from true quality! Sometimes I think true hifi is a forgotten memory, slain by the advertising suits.

I'd love to hear a shootout between a modeler unit and a tube vintage Plexi, side by side on the same stage. I've posted before about a similar setup done at a club in Niagara Falls one Sunday afternoon. All I can say is that EVERY guitarist at the jam wanted to play through my tube amp setup. Nobody wanted to play through the host band guitarist's rig. And he wasn't just some wanker! He was Paul Severn, well renowned for stage and studio.

Paul was steaming, and we (his friends) were all laughing!:smile:

Even Fender at their school for new engineers tell them that modelling can only get you so far. It can provide great versatility for a cover band or in the studio but it can't get you all the way there. It can sound good by itself but if you have a comparison or if you listen to it for a long time you hear where it's lacking.

Still, it's all personal taste and tastes change!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Even Fender at their school for new engineers tell them that modelling can only get you so far. It can provide great versatility for a cover band or in the studio but it can't get you all the way there. It can sound good by itself but if you have a comparison or if you listen to it for a long time you hear where it's lacking.

...noiseless pickups are similar. i swore by them, until i did a real side-by-side comparison with real single coils. the difference was anything but subtle.

i would purchase and use noiseless pickups again, but ONLY if there were no other viable options.

for some reason, however, digital modeling seems to work very well for recording.

-dh

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno...I think you guys are getting too old haha

The modeling stuff out now is getting really good. Axe Fx, vox tonelab le, soon Pod X3.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I dunno...I think you guys are getting too old haha

The modeling stuff out now is getting really good. Axe Fx, vox tonelab le, soon Pod X3.
PODX3 is the same modelling as the XT, just includes the model packs and has a few other features (ie: two amps at once, etc.), they added it to their site. That's some old technology dude haha didn't it come out in '04?

My XT is fun to record with in my room though. Kind of glad I don't have to crank the amps everytime I want to record.

I've heard the AxeFX is decent though... but I know I'm personally not paying over a grand for some modelling shit, lol.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well considering you own a few amps..and Scott Peterson, the administrator of TGP...which has thousands of dollars more in amps than you have...and he loves the axe fx...I dont see how it could be called garbage....have you even bothered to listen to an Axe Fx? It also has excellent studio quality effect as I have been told, and can be run just as an effects processor into a guitar amp or something. Look at TC electronics and their G units, etc. Just about as expensive if not more and without amp modelling. :)

If anybody here knows what its like to haul around a 4x12 and a full size head by YOURSELF twice, even once a week...they can perhaps sympathize with me. some will say, "yeah well I would rather haul around a big amp and have great tone." whatever...modelers sound good if you know how to use them properly. If you have heard a good modeler through a decent PA system, or even a keyboard speaker, wow...they can be very good.
If you run it through a guitar amp, and treat a modeler like a guitar amp in setting it up, you probably wont get very good results.
anyway, like it or not, technology improves. So does guitar equipment.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
well considering you own a few amps..and Scott Peterson, the administrator of TGP...which has thousands of dollars more in amps than you have...and he loves the axe fx...I dont see how it could be called garbage....have you even bothered to listen to an Axe Fx? It also has excellent studio quality effect as I have been told, and can be run just as an effects processor into a guitar amp or something. Look at TC electronics and their G units, etc. Just about as expensive if not more and without amp modelling. :)

If anybody here knows what its like to haul around a 4x12 and a full size head by YOURSELF twice, even once a week...they can perhaps sympathize with me. some will say, "yeah well I would rather haul around a big amp and have great tone." whatever...modelers sound good if you know how to use them properly. If you have heard a good modeler through a decent PA system, or even a keyboard speaker, wow...they can be very good.
If you run it through a guitar amp, and treat a modeler like a guitar amp in setting it up, you probably wont get very good results.
anyway, like it or not, technology improves. So does guitar equipment.
I never said it was 'garbage'... I called it modelling shit... just like I call solid state stuff solid state shit... and tube stuff tube shit.

Just because this Scott Peterson character likes the AxeFX doesn't mean I will... or the next person will. Also doesn't mean it's amazing. I don't care how much the dude has spent on gear.

Some people call Peavey's XXL head amazing... all solid state... some agree, some don't. Just like I like some tones that other people don't... it's all preference. Go with what you like... like I said, I personally wouldn't spend $1000's on modelling shit when I could be getting quality tube stuff. It's what I prefer. If you would, more power to you.

I dig the warmth of my tube head and the way it reacts to my fingers... plus the image of a half or full stack up on stage is fantastic. Screams rock 'n' roll.

Techology improves, yeah... guitar equipment can too I'm sure. Look how long tube amps have been around, then look at how many guitarists use them. Just 'cause technology changes doesn't mean I or anyone else has to!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've had the Axe Fx for about 3 months now. Its the real deal!
It reacts very dynamically with your picking attack. Every guitar you plug into it reacts differently as well, just like a good tube amp.

I laugh a guys who say they wouldn't spend a grand on a modeler. Most guys spend more then that on a tube amp don't actually use them they way they are intended to be played........LOUD. They aren't even hearing the real amp.

Actually the Axe Fx is more like $1800.00 once you get it over the border.
I have about $1800.00 invested just into my pedal board! :eek:
The quality of the effects on the Axe Fx is worth the price alone!

The only reason it has not replaced my Carvin Legacy and pedal board is because I love my current live rig. This month I will start using the Axe Fx for band rehearsals. I'll fill you guys in on how it goes. I know it has the tone, but we will see how it cuts through the mix, up against my co-guitarist's Marshall.

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Instead of hurling insults at people who don't use the gear you do, how about if everyone uses what they like best and that's that. You modelling evangelists are worse than the tube amp evangelists.
I laugh a guys who say they wouldn't spend a grand on a modeler.
Whats your problem? How do you see this as an insult to you? My comment was directed at Violation and I did not intend it to be an insult to him either?
Just because you can't afford to buy an $1800.00 modeller, it doesn't mean you have to hurl an insult at me by calling me a modeling evangelist? I am open minded enough to play through modelling rigs and tube amp rigs and say that I get great tone from both setups.

Maybe you should read these posts over again. Nobody was telling anybody what to use, just some discussion on what we use, and maybe what we like best.

Oh.........and don't be a baby and PM me again telling me to shove my POD up my ass. I don't have one.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Laughing at someone because he won't buy a modeller isn't condescending?
I laugh at someone who will spend big bucks on a good tube amp and some pedals or multi effects units, but wouldn't spend big bucks on a good modeller such as the Axe Fx? When I say "I laugh," I truly do laugh because I think it is funny that they do not see the whole picture when it comes to cost of gear (yes, I am easily amused).

My current tube amp rig is hovering close to $6000.00 in cost. I'd say $1800.00 is not that bad considering it can provide you with an almost endless variety of tube amp quality tones and Eventide quality effects.

To clear up my comment from earlier, I would like to retract it and instead say, I think it is funny when a guy says they wouldn't spend a grand on a modeller. :smile:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What if someone loves the sound and feel of his tube amp and effect pedals? Why should he then go spend $1,800 on a modeller? It's this attitude that I consider evangelical. It's not good enough that people should choose the gear they like and use that. Everyone MUST use a modeller! It's no better than someone saying that desipte the fact that, say, Milkman is perfectly happy using his Tonelab, its laughable that he isn't willing to also spend $1,800 on a tube amp. Rediculous, no?
I really don't think you are reading my posts correctly? (Scratching my head)

I think it laughable that I spent $6000.00 on a tube amp rig and am getting as good tone out of an $1800.00 rig.
Milkman is laughing even more because he only spent $400.00.

I wish I could find my quote saying "everyone MUST use a modeller"?
(Still scratching my head)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts