The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something peculiar is going on with my Parker as of late. When I plug it in to the amp there is a slight buzz but when I touch any metal on the guitar it stops! I suspect the the ground wire to the a pot(s) is disconnected. Would this be a correct assumption? Should I let a professional tackle this or is it something I can do by myself?

My Parker has lost it's get up and go as well. There is no noticeable difference between the clean and dirty channel as in it lacks any gain no matter if I crank the gain to the max. It needs some TLC.

Do you think that the quality of guitar repairs varies between stores like Cosmo, Steve's and L&M etc?

This is annoying me to no end!

This whole scenario is a giant PITA.

And just an FYI:

I ordered two amps from L&M, the Katana 100w 2x12 and 1x12. I have to pay a restocking fee of $50 for the one I do not choose. They phoned me to notify me of this after I ordered both amps which was a couple of days later. They should of informed on the spot. So I cancelled the 2x12 and have ordered the 1x12. That $50 can go towards other gear I need(want).

·
Registered
463 Posts
Somewhere you've developed a ground issue tho unless you've been digging inside the control cavity or subjected the guitar to a dramatic thud (ie, a drop), it's pretty difficult for a wire to come loose.

When you say it lacks gain on either channel, do you mean you hardly get any sound whatsoever when you adjust the guitar's volume pot?

If so, I'd think most likely you need a new pot.

You can do that yourself if you can do some basic soldering. Just take pics of the control cavity beforehand so you know where all the wires go. ;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somewhere you've developed a ground issue tho unless you've been digging inside the control cavity or subjected the guitar to a dramatic thud (ie, a drop), it's pretty difficult for a wire to come loose.

When you say it lacks gain on either channel, do you mean you hardly get any sound whatsoever when you adjust the guitar's volume pot?

If so, I'd think most likely you need a new pot.

You can do that yourself if you can do some basic soldering. Just take pics of the control cavity beforehand so you know where all the wires go. ;)

When I switch between dirty and clean you can't hear much difference. They sound one and the same. There is plenty of volume. No doubt about that!

I did drop my Parker in it's soft shell case maybe 2 months ago. I was having a very awkward moment and the wind caught the case and twisted the case to the front of my body. It threw my balance off totally! I was going down or the guitar was going down. My Parker bore the brunt of it! When I got to the Rehearsal factory I couldn't see ant physical damage so I just carried on like normal. That definitely could be the straw that broke the camels back.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know much about Parker guitars so I have to ask --- what do you mean when you say say switching between dirty and clean? I originally thought you meant rolling back the volume pot but maybe I was incorrect with my assumption.

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
I wouldn't try this repair by yourself. You can very easily create new problems for yourself if you haven't done this type of work before.

There is nothing worse and more heartbreaking than the the smell of freshly 'cooked' (burnt, melted) insulation (on a wire).

·
Administrator
16,454 Posts
I wouldn't try this repair by yourself. You can very easily create new problems for yourself if you haven't done this type of work before.

There is nothing worse and more heartbreaking than the the smell of freshly 'cooked' (burnt, melted) insulation (on a wire).
Actually the smell of burnt flesh is worse, but I digress.

·
Administrator
16,454 Posts
If rolling the volume pot on the guitar doesn't increase volume and gain you have a volume pot problem. If switching the amp channels from clean to drive isn't noticeable I don't think it's a guitar problem. If you have 2 guitars you can rule out the amp very quickly.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Especially when it is combined with the smell of burnt insulation!...LOL

@Lola This is not intended to be sexist. It is for a laugh.
Nah! I am good.

Getting burned by the soldering iron or a bit of solder is brutal! I used to do stained glass on the side to augment my financial situation.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If rolling the volume pot on the guitar doesn't increase volume and gain you have a volume pot problem. If switching the amp channels from clean to drive isn't noticeable I don't think it's a guitar problem. If you have 2 guitars you can rule out the amp very quickly.
Yes I have my SG. Will try it when I get home from work. No rest for the wicked. :D

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Lola Your parker has active p-ups correct ?
might be a silly question but have you tried a new battery ?
I always have a supply of 9 volts on hand and as a matter of fact I just changed my battery Friday night at rehearsal. I change the battery on a consistent basis. I can tell just by the sound of the guitar when it's time to change it.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
you could take it to trevor, who used to do my guitars back in the day. he's @ pape & carlaw. he does good work, is a great guy, and priced well. good turn around time too.
String em Up Guitar Repairs | Toronto Ontario | Home

or there is the 12th fret, danforth & woodbine. they do excellent work, but their turn around time is super slow, they're usually booked solid. sometimes for months.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Guitar repair isn't for everyone, but it's a good skill to develop. They are fairly simple machines and there are a ton of schematics and videos online. I've done a bit of modding and such, and I don't understand electronics at all. At the very least I am willing to poke around inside my axe to solve a problem. I can then take it to a pro. You can't do so much damage that it can't be sorted. I have a squire tele that made a scratchy ground fault sound whenever I brushed the pickguard. A buddy suggested I put a piece of clear packing tape on where my fingers hit the pickguard. Problem solved!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts