The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Normally I don't pay too much attention to Kijiji ads that don't include pictures or a price, but last week an ad popped up for a vintage Gretsch DuoJet from 1959. No pics, no price but I couldn't resist. While I was driving over to see it I did some complex computations in my head and arrived at my "tap out" price.

The owner wasn't a guitar player. He got it from a roommate that couldn't pay his rent back in 1981 and then it was put in a closet where it sat for nearly 40 years. You'd think that this means it was "mint". Far from it. This guitar had seen some things. At some point prior to 1981 someone had routed a hole the size of a deck of cards in the top in order to attach some sort of trem system. The trem had been removed (again, prior to 1981) and a metal trem plate was now screwed on and covering the gaping hole in the top of the guitar. My heart sank because that is repair far beyond my abilities so I almost walked away. I didn't even know where you take an instrument for this kind of repair. I stood in this guy's garage staring at the guitar for 15 minutes or so, tossed out an offer that would give me some room to get it repaired (IF it was repairable) and a deal was struck.

A couple of days after the purchase (still wondering what I was going to do with it) I was talking to a couple of guys in the Long & McQuade store near where I live and they were telling me about this repair "guru" they had working upstairs. The one guy even said he is the best he has ever seen. His name is Andrew. I brought the guitar in, Andrew took a look like it was, "No big thing..." and the work began. He filled every hole, reset the bridge, re-soldered, painted and brought this thing back to life. In under a week. I dropped it off Monday, got it back Friday. Incredible. Now I just need to find a pick guard. (Pics are from top to bottom: how it looked when I bought it, with the gaping hole exposed, and "Brought back to life".)
IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VERY impressive work!

Thanks for sharing with so many pics.

How does it feel and sound?

Cheers

Dave
I’ve only had about 10 minutes to play it and it sounds great. Nice and bright, but good bright. Hopefully between visiting, company, turkey, etc I’ll have a bit more time to play later this weekend.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Man, I love stuff like that... I just had a vintage big muff brought back from the dead. Happy NGD :)

Reactions: JethroTech

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Looks great! I used to own a Gretsch Rally and I found a guy through the Gretsch forum that made Gretsch picguards. Have a look around on there and you’ll find him. He did a great job on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Nice! & good job in bringing her back from the dead. That bridge setup with adjustable string spacing is really cool, I've never seen one up close before.

L

·
0 Posts
Seamless and matched the paint perfectly. Outstanding!
That's quite a hole to deal with too.
The butcher job on my '62 Corvette's not too bad in comparison. lol.

20170124_163200.jpg

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great work restoring a classic guitar! Looks like a fantastic job. How are those vintage Filtertrons?

I have never seen that before either.
Brilliant design!
Actually, most players that have had them (including me) seem to consider them a tone-sucking rattle trap... they get replaced with a bar a lot... but they're unique, I'll give you that...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great work restoring a classic guitar! Looks like a fantastic job. How are those vintage Filtertrons?

Actually, most players that have had them (including me) seem to consider them a tone-sucking rattle trap... they get replaced with a bar a lot... but they're unique, I'll give you that...
Thank you. I can’t take any credit for the work. It was all done by Andrew at L&M:)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
That worked out beautifully, I wouldn’t have known what to do with it and walked, not being one to gamble on “if” it could be repaired. In your case, risk equaled an impressive win. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Way to go! Great to see a vintage guitar get saved.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Wow amazing job, and a pretty sweet guitar. You'd never be able to tell that the guitar was seriously hacked. Hopefully the repair didn't cost more then the purchase of the guitar.
Funny thing is that I've been down that road also with a repair job, I still ask why I went through with it but I ended up with a really nice guitar. Mine had a lets say a swiss cheese and bug problem. Photo Gallery: Gretsch Viking
I like seeing these hack jobs get repaired and the guitar restored

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow amazing job, and a pretty sweet guitar. You'd never be able to tell that the guitar was seriously hacked. Hopefully the repair didn't cost more then the purchase of the guitar.
Funny thing is that I've been down that road also with a repair job, I still ask why I went through with it but I ended up with a really nice guitar. Mine had a lets say a swiss cheese and bug problem. Photo Gallery: Gretsch Viking
I like seeing these hack jobs get repaired and the guitar restored
Wow. Your link didn't work but I did some sleuthing (I Googled) and I found the link to your guitar. That is spectacular. I've never seen a guitar that had been eaten by termites. Is that your work? Oh, and my repair was within $8 of what I guess-timated it was going to be when I made my offer. I'm not usually that lucky but this time everything came together.

Reactions: Gretsch6120
1 - 20 of 23 Posts