The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new on this forum, i've been playing bass for 10 years but now there are less opportunities for play with others so id like to learn guitar. Im looking for a cheap acoustic to start and I find this one :

Guitare Greg Bennet | guitares | Rimouski / Bas-St-Laurent | Kijiji

I dont know this brand and there are not much informations on internet for this model. Its a greg bennett D-4CE. I would like to have your thought about it and if the price is reasonable

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi Chuck and welcome here.
I too was a bass player that migrated to 6 strings, but electric.

The guitar you're looking at seem to be the D 4 CE model. To make sure, you could ask for a picture of the piece of paper usually stuck inside the body, that identifies the model. Like this:

Here's a similar one, but in black. It sold used for $150US, so at $200 Canadian, I'd say it's an great price.

Samick Greg Bennett D4CE/TBK Acoustic/Electric Dreadnought Cutaway Black

Look here too: greg bennett d 4 ce | eBay

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Chuck, I can't help you with the Greg Bennett guitars but for your budget of $200.00, you should be able to find a nice Godin product in your area (Seagull, Simon & Patrice, Art & Lutherie, Norman). They are very good guitars and I have seen them below $200.00 from time to time.

Simon and Patrick Guitars

Reactions: StratCat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck, I can't help you with the Greg Bennett guitars but for your budget of $200.00, you should be able to find a nice Godin product in your area (Seagull, Simon & Patrice, Art & Lutherie, Norman). They are very good guitars and I have seen them below $200.00 from time to time.

Simon and Patrick Guitars
I found an art & lutherie cedar
Guitare acoustique Art & Lutherie | guitares | Rimouski / Bas-St-Laurent | Kijiji

I dont know if its better but there are no cutaway and no preamp as the greg bennett. A friend lent me a norman B20, i like it but its over my budget

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I'm guessing that a used Norman would probably be better than whatever that red one is for 200. Norman has a solid sitka top, laminated back and sides and whatever the neck is made out of seems pretty good. Tunes up well too.

I have a B20 that I got in 2000 and it has held up well. Also plays well and is basically a very good student guitar.

Structurally it hasn't changed since I got it - action is good and it's not heading for a reset although it wouldn't be worth having the neck reset if it was messed up.

If I was to sell this I wouldn't expect to get much more than 200 for it so you might find one used in that price range.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
That is a very decent guitar. As a matter of fact, that is the same model I bought as my first guitar. I paid $125.00 for mine in very good condition but that was over 15 years ago. I would still have it except the neck was just a bit narrow for me.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Finally got an art & lutherie and love it ! Thanks for your advices
You got yourself what I consider quite a good guitar. IMHO, they are undervalued for what you get, likely because they are made in Canada, is La Belle Province.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts