The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started up with guitar again after twenty years away from it, and I'm having a blast.

Last year I bought a Kijiji Partscaster and a Headrush MX5. In the 1980s and 90s I played guitar and drums in a few tentative bands that didn't gig much, and eventually I fell away from it because I didn't have the bloody-minded determination to play music come hell or high water.

Started to miss it. Bought a Squier Strat in Olympic white with a maple neck because that's what Jimi played at Woodstock, and I've always wanted one. I had three Strats back in the day, and they were never the right colour. Fug it, I thought, I'm just gonna wait until Kijiji presents the one I want. And it did. And then I got a Headrush MX5 multi-effects unit/amp modeller to plug headphones into, and off I went. Over the past year I've built up my playing to a higher level than I'd ever achieved previously, and I also went through a process of buying and selling various extra stomp boxes until I settled on what you see here:

Circuit component Electronic instrument Computer hardware Electronic engineering Audio equipment

Did I mention I'm having a blast? Yeah, I'm having a blast.

One of the reasons I felt stymied about music back in the day was because I just assumed I needed to be in a band to do anything musically. Obviously, being part of a band is a fine thing, but finding people you resonate with, scheduling, competing personalities/egoes, lugging equipment around etc etc. are not things I really have time for. So I've scratched my itch by doing little YouTube videos instead, in addition to just generally goofing around and grooving to random self-made noise.

My playlist:

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome back, I just did the same thing. After a ten year absence from playing anything I found myself yearning to play again. Had stopped due to an insane work schedule. Things are different now. Having a ton of fun just playing around and hunting down gear again.
It's great, isn't it? Like riding a bike, you can regain your technique fairly easily due to the familiarity you already have, so it's like rediscovering a lost love. When I first plugged in the MX5, scrolled to a default patch with distortion and hit my first crunchy power chord in twenty years, my phreakin' hair stood on end and I felt chills.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having a ton of fun just playing around and hunting down gear again.
Gotta say, what a revelation twenty years away resulted in when I started searching for ways to put sound into my headphones. I vaguely recalled the Pod bean thingy offering different amp sounds from around 1999, so I started looking into that. Over about a month of searching the shift in focus progressed like this:

Line 6 Pod
Line 6 Pod X3
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Line 6 Pod Go
Headrush Gigboard
Headrush MX5

I settled on the MX5, and I'm happier than a pig in stink. But over time I wanted to get some whacky sounds going that the MX5 couldn't do, so I went through additions progressing like this:

EHX Cathedral (sold)
Zoom MS-70CDR
Lyr (King Tone Duellist clone) (sold)
Digitech Digiverb (sold)
Digitech Synth Wah (sold)
EHX C9
EHX Mel9
EHX Attack Decay Tape Reverse Simulator (sold)
Pigtronix Echolution
Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl MKII

This represents one year's worth of learning, searching, buying and selling. It was a lot of fun, and to be honest, I feel a bit sad that the initial period of discovery is over. Cause It was such a thrill.

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,497 Posts
There has been a lot of this it seems lately. I myself just dove head first back in this year after close to 20 years of no guitar.

It is great to get familiar again, im hopeful I stay on the wagon a while this time around. I've invested enough money I think the thought of wasting it will keep me going a while yet. Yeah, I said invested.... don't tell my wife different.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your music and videos are a blast.
This thread is kick pow highlight to the forum.
Thank you.
Well damn, that's a shot in the arm. I do it for fun for myself, and I'm always grateful when friends and family throw the odd compliment my way, but having a total stranger say something like this is making me lightheaded and giddy.

Dunno what to say. Oh wait...thanks! And, uh like and subscribe and tell your friends.

Gotta say, I'm up to 12 subscribers at the moment, and it simply amazes me that 12 different people have expressed that they like what I'm doing. Makes me feel all warm inside.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stratford, eh? Nice town, lived there for a few years in the '80s.

Welcome to the forum.
Been here since 2004. It's quiet and pleasant, which suits me fine. Not much to get your pulse racing if you're young and looking for action, but otherwise there are some nice folks here.

Plus I've been doing a lot of work for the CIA lately, so I need to keep a low profile in an out-of-the-way place. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

· Registered
19,634 Posts
Welcome. Stratford is a lovely town to live in.

Reactions: rousseau

· Premium Member
1,219 Posts
@rousseau Lots of people in the forum are not too far from you. @greco will often arrange a breakfast meeting amongst several members of the group; perhaps he can add you to the list!

Your videos are lots of fun with lots of different kinds of sounds! One thing I noticed is that you might want to check the latency on whatever you are using to record. It sounds to me like things are consistently just a little bit later than they should be, and adjusting latency could fix that for you.

· Premium Member
20,324 Posts
@greco will often arrange a breakfast meeting amongst several members of the group; perhaps he can add you to the list!
@rousseau Welcome to the forum! Enjoy and post often.

I have arranged a few breakfast get togethers here in Kitchener for GC members in the past. Unfortunately, I missed this year for a variety of personal reasons. Possibly next spring. There will be thread for it long before the event and it will be bumped often.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your videos are lots of fun with lots of different kinds of sounds! One thing I noticed is that you might want to check the latency on whatever you are using to record. It sounds to me like things are consistently just a little bit later than they should be, and adjusting latency could fix that for you.
I'm definitely an amateur. I'm plugging my Headrush MX5 into the USB slot of a MacBook Pro running Windows and recording on Reaper. That might be causing issues, not sure. Having said that, I'm definitely partial to the lo-fi aesthetic, so what might sound like latency to some could actually be intentional. That's my story for now, anyway!

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@rousseau Welcome to the forum! Enjoy and post often.

I have arranged a few breakfast get togethers here in Kitchener for GC members in the past. Unfortunately, I missed this year for a variety of personal reasons. Possibly next spring. There will be thread for it long before the event and it will be bumped often.
Thanks for the welcom and the offer. I'm not an early riser though, so social breakfasts aren't my thing. Unless something drastically changes and I turn into a monk between now and next spring!

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,497 Posts
I'm definitely an amateur. I'm plugging my Headrush MX5 into the USB slot of a MacBook Pro running Windows and recording on Reaper. That might be causing issues, not sure. Having said that, I'm definitely partial to the lo-fi aesthetic, so what might sound like latency to some could actually be intentional. That's my story for now, anyway!
The best!

That still has me laughing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts