The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
I am a guitar player with too much antiquated gear and not enuff time to keep all of it in good playable condition. I am searching for anyone that has expertise in repairing/modding the following items:
- Marshall 100w amplifier model 1959. Purchased from L&M in 1980, the amp provided me with many years of great sound and reliability despite being hauled all over the continent. I had a basic effects loop installed and replaced the power transformer after I made the stupid mistake of adjusting the bias and blew the transformer. The amp still functions, it sounds good but not great. I would like a complete overhaul including a possible mod to add a gain stage.
- MXR Micro Amp. Works but with reduced output level. This pedal is still being manufactured and does one thing very well, it increases gain by up to 26+ dB without significantly colouring the sound. I used it as part of a rack effects rig in which the impedance was lowered from the Pre-amp output via a direct box and thus needed to be “boosted” at the Power amp input. The Micro Amp provided a nice transparent clean boost and my rack effects ran very clean with lots of headroom with this arrangement.
- DOD 690 Stereo Chorus Pedal. Manufactured in the early 1980’s, purchased from a deadbeat Reverb seller in 2016. The pedal arrived DOA and I have been searching for a competent repair person ever since. An interesting chorus effect that has 2 speeds as well as an internal power supply. For me personally it was a very cool pedal, intense enough to provide lush chorus sounds and versatile with the option of increasing or decreasing the chorus speed, via a footswitch. Nice rotating speaker (Leslie) effects with 1/1,000th the weight of a Leslie cabinet.
- Rodam Speaker Director 100. Powered by a 9 volt battery, this small direct box was essential in attaining my “Rack of Doom” sound. As mentioned above it was used as an impedance attenuator with some of the rack effects I was using at the time (incidentally all those effects were ANALOG). Does not work at all.

I would appreciate any assistance in getting all this stuff repaired. Time is ticking...

Thanks to all!

G

·
Hey Conrad, welcome aboard.
I grew up out there, 5 min walk to the Bluffs.
Can't help you in your quest, but I'm sure a few amp/pedal gurus will chime in eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. After a few hours of noodling with various guitars, pedals, amps, etc., I discovered that my MXR Micro Amp is working just fine. It’s battered beyond belief, a tiny cable with a mini plug that I soldered together years ago that plugs into a power supply... all weathered, the plastic cracking and the solder joints barely hanging on... but it works. The gain is still robust just like it always was. I’m going to clean it up and perhaps even give the box a fresh coat of paint. Feeling pleased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sprayed the Micro Amp with flat black Tremclad paint, a long time ago. If I could somehow remove just the flat black paint the original white finish would show thru... and I’m certain it’s got every single stomp mark on it. I’m guessing that MXR’s finish was properly applied, baked and cured whereas my paint job was less than professional. If I brush on some acetone thinned with varsol I wonder if it’ll be enough to remove the top layer of paint and leave the original MXR white finish... Light bulb moment: Easy off oven cleaner !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts