The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had seen a thread on this but I can't find it. Sorry if it's a repeat. I signed up for this program quite some time ago. It involves getting a FREE energy efficient thermostat installed by a technician. They do a survey of your home and voila. I had a NEST thermostat installed today by a qualified and quite competent tech. It's pretty cool if you're a gadget guy. Besides the settings if has a motion sensor that allows you to turn the heat down during the day and if you get home before the program restarts it will kick the heat on. It's probably useless for most and easily criticized by others but I like the technology and the savings from not heating and cooling when I don't need to.
For those interested I have attached the link. For those who want to complain I have added a pretty good topic.
Green Ontario Fund | Energy saving programs for your home or business.
It’s easy to save energy.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I worked in the HVAC/R industry most of my life. It's possible to save around 10% but more realistically, around 5%.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Hot water on demand heaters can save you a bundle in not having to keep water hot for hours and hours while you're not using it. The downside is that you have to have a little self control too. Gotta watch those 45 minute showers.

·
Administrator
17,338 Posts
I thought I had seen a thread on this but I can't find it. Sorry if it's a repeat. I signed up for this program quite some time ago. It involves getting a FREE energy efficient thermostat installed by a technician. They do a survey of your home and voila. I had a NEST thermostat installed today by a qualified and quite competent tech. It's pretty cool if you're a gadget guy. Besides the settings if has a motion sensor that allows you to turn the heat down during the day and if you get home before the program restarts it will kick the heat on. It's probably useless for most and easily criticized by others but I like the technology and the savings from not heating and cooling when I don't need to.
For those interested I have attached the link. For those who want to complain I have added a pretty good topic.
I seem to remember signing up but never heard anything. I'd forgotten about it to be honest :)

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Hot water on demand heaters can save you a bundle in not having to keep water hot for hours and hours while you're not using it. The downside is that you have to have a little self control too. Gotta watch those 45 minute showers.
I just bought one to replace the electric hot water heater that was in this house we bought 2 years ago. I hope to get it installed in the next couple of weeks. It should pay for itself easily in the first year; likely less.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
its the opposite, you can easily have a 45 minute shower, you could make it an hour and a half, downside is if the dishwasher is going it likely won't be very hot

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I wasn't saying it COULDN'T provide hot water for a 45 minute shower. I was saying that if you get into the habit of using more hot water simply because it's available, suddenly you're actually spending more for hot water rather than saving money.

G

·
That thermostat is listening to you. Sending reports back to the spy agency. ssshhhhh. Don't talk without the music on really loud or they will hear you.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
A friend just installed a timer on his hot water heater that is set to come on when electricity prices are at their lowest during the day. (7 pm to 7 am) Not sure how much he'll save but installation was less than $100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts