The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was listening to the radio on my way home and Green Day's song Holiday came up, I don't really like the band, they're just another commercial pop punk band that puts out some catchy stuff if you ask me, but damn! the tone in the song Holiday is just great! The distortion is so crunchy yet not harsh at all, who else things green day has great tone?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
they weren't always a commercial pop punk band... I liked there old stuff back before they really got airtime.
But I agree, I like their tone too

·
Premium Member
11,016 Posts
If they didn't have good tone with the resources they have, there'd be something wrong! But I agree, for a general pop style and substance that I don't pursue, their tone is pretty good. Much better than some of the over-the-top metal bands with so much distortion that pitch is almost lost.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love Green Day. Always have, always will :smile: But I agree with Xanadu, their older material is definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I just checked out some of their old stuff and it's got a different vibe. I think what happened to Green Day is that they used to be just a bunch of angry kids wanting to rock out and then they kinda sold out to the industry.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Selling out is kind of a funny term, as anyone who has a recording contract has 'sold out' by definition.

I figure a band or artist has their whole life to write material for thier first (or fist couple of) release, and only a year or two to write each consecutive release. In many cases their lifestyles and quality of life may have changed, so they are writing from a totally different place with different perspectives as their career progresses.

Also people mature, you can't expect everyone be the same person they were when they were eighteen to twenty-four for thier entire life. If I was to go back in time fifteen to twenty years and stand next to myself there would be very little common ground between the 'now' me and the 'then' me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
anyone with a job is a sellout.

green day, fun band, great sound. who would've thought that scappy punk band from san fran would turn into such a great rock band.
what do you want, 10 albums that sound like 39/smooth? how boring.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't listen to much mainstream music either generally.

I just kind of take issue with the term sell out since it's used so liberally.

·
Premium Member
17,011 Posts
i also think greenday has some good tone. as does blink 182, IMO. you'll notice that everyone rags on the pop punk bands, but tonewise they aint half bad. newfoundglory, yellowcard, also sound good in my books.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billy Joe from Green Day plays a Les Paul Jr into a marshall stack = good solid tube tone recorded and live. Blink 182 play Les pauls into a POD! (ugh...) = fake digital tone. Who's the real sellout?? :rockon:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Selling out is kind of a funny term, as anyone who has a recording contract has 'sold out' by definition.

I figure a band or artist has their whole life to write material for thier first (or fist couple of) release, and only a year or two to write each consecutive release. In many cases their lifestyles and quality of life may have changed, so they are writing from a totally different place with different perspectives as their career progresses.

Also people mature, you can't expect everyone be the same person they were when they were eighteen to twenty-four for thier entire life. If I was to go back in time fifteen to twenty years and stand next to myself there would be very little common ground between the 'now' me and the 'then' me.

I'd agree. In Green Day's case, I'd say that I prefer the older stuff as well, although the guitars do sound good on "american idiot." I can think of a few bands that improved alot from that added maturity.

·
Premium Member
17,011 Posts
Billy Joe from Green Day plays a Les Paul Jr into a marshall stack = good solid tube tone recorded and live. Blink 182 play Les pauls into a POD! (ugh...) = fake digital tone. Who's the real sellout?? :rockon:
..... what? i'd love to know where you read that:

1) delonge played a fat strat fender for the longest time, then had gibson make him a custom ES-335 or whatever it is

2) he used mesa boogie gear.

i dont care much for terms like sell-out... isnt being popular selling out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tom Delonge used Mesa Dual Rectifiers and a JCM 900... I've never heard of him using a POD...

By the way which Marshall does Billy Joe use?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tom Delonge used Mesa Dual Rectifiers and a JCM 900... I've never heard of him using a POD...

By the way which Marshall does Billy Joe use?
I've seen older photos of Billy Joe using what he called his 'Pete' amps - Hiwatts similar to what Pete Townsend used....

·
Registered
52 Posts
going by this list...

http://dividedby13.com/clientlinks.html

*Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) uses /13 amps.
---------------------------------

And this is on http://www.greenday.net/equipment.html

Mainly plays through a modified Marshall amp. On Nimrod he used a Fender Bassman, a Hiwatt, and a Leslie. The amp he uses on Dookie is most commenly reffered to as the 'pete' amp and can be seen most noticably at the Woodstock concert, it has 'pete' written across it.

Live Rig
Amps: 2 Marshall JMP MkII amplifier heads 2 Marshall 9200 Dual Monobloc or 8008 Valvestate power amps 4 Marshall 1960B 4 x 2 speaker cabinets

·
Registered
300 Posts
while what I've heard of their music certainly wasn't exactly intricate in any way, I'd say they have a pretty unique sound. Not just tone gear wise but just the band as a whole I think they sound good. I'm not a big fan by any means but they do stand out from the whole punk "pack".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts