The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its a tie between Rush and BTO. BTO for the heavy vintage original all time great factor and RUSH for the chart topping grand touring and longevity factor.Acoustic? I had thought that i remembered the great Gordon Lightfoot was from Canada, and of course he is. Those of yous'e who arent geezers like me probably dont know who Gordon Lightfoot is. Well, I will tell you something. His songs are an acoustical tour-de-force of vintage acoustic music... as good or better than the best of any originals from the golden era. My alltime favourite is, of course, The wreck of the Edmund F.What a brilliant song! Man they dont write em like that no more!

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
:confused-smiley-010 NO lie, Niel Young? The Band? I didnt know Joni Mitchell was a Candian, and STeppenwolf ?. I was pretty much talking classic acts though, some of those others you lost me on. Guess I'm over the hill.Yea, the Guess Who, of course, and theres a few others I recognize. I didnt mean to imply that those guys I mentioned were the only thing ever from Canada, but it sounded that way I guess-typically unsophisticated .Werent "Les Infant Terrible's" from Canada? Just joking, I made that up-or is there really a band called that? probably so, and with my luck they are from Canada!! EDIT 10/28/06 Othere bands I am familiar with are Skinny puppy, Nickleback(Great), Triumph (great band),The tubes of course, Sum41,S.Bach,Bruce Cockburn,Leonard Cohen,KDLAng(i knew about her),Who's Whitey Houston?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sum 41, The Scotsmen, Rough Trade, Headpins, Red Ryder, Prism, Streetheart, Harlequin, Triumph, Anvil, Platinum Blonde, Big Sugar (Grady), Thornley, The Tubes, Kim Mitchell, Queen City Kids, Nickleback, Sebastian Bach and many more.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes I enjoy the Hip and they have been rockin it for a long time now. For me Neil Young has got to be the single most influential Canadian performer ever in the music industry. Just look at his history, the bands and people he has played with and the length of time he has been around. I have always enjoyed his material and respect the man as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A few other bands not mentioned , The Kingbees , Glen Stace, Mack Mackenzie(3 o'clock train), Blackie &the Rodeo Kings .
But I have been on a mad Blue Rodeo kick latley so I'll give them my vote.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hoser said:
the novaks are fun...and they're from here.

Yeah they rocked out and dropped the f bomb twice and went home with a cash prize for best new band or something ?? Too bad their CD is not available in the local stores , only on line.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am really impressed by the listing of all the new talent. Its great to see a lot of different bands working, and not just the elite few.Very impressive, and im encouraged by the direction the new generation of rockers is moving in!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Luther Wright

I have to admit that I am currently in awe of Luther Wright and the Wrongs. It takes guts and talent to pull off a track for track cover of one of the all time great albums. For those of you who have know idea of whom I speak, check out a couple of their "re-imagined" tracks from The Wall at this link:

http://www.lutherwright.com/music.php

I have always been a big fan of Pink Floyd...but my current interest in hillbilly music has me leaning towards Rebuild the Wall as an improvement over the original. I'm going to burn in hell for this, I know.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Didn't see David Wilcox mentioned either, or blast from the past Terry Jacks (gag), Paul Anka, Bruce Cockburn, Chilliwack, Coney Hatch, Doug and the Slugs, Goddo, Jeff Healey, April Wine, Klatuu, 5 Man Electrical Band, Helix, Honeymoon Suite, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Powder Blues, Aldo Nova, Trooper, Sweeny Todd, Teaze and the Stampeders.

It amazed me when I got thinking about Canadian music.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 for April Wine, Triumph and Rush.

Didn't see any votes for Don Ross, a mind boggling ACOUSTIC guitarist if ever I saw one.
Check him out on YouTube, then get ready to go learn some other instrument. :mad:

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Lester B. Flat said:
Bryan Adams, Colin James, Celine Dionne, Shania Twain, Michelle Wright, Maynard Ferguson, Ed Bickert, Oscar Peterson, Holly Cole, Guy Lombardo, Robert Goulet, Dutch Mason, Matt Minglewood, Larry Gowan, Gino Vannelli, Ian Thomas, Murray McLaughlin, Ian Tyson...
I dont know why i forgot Bryan Adams and Shania twain. Everyone knows they are from Canada.Celine Dion...oh my god- I hate her. Matyard Ferguson-hugging his instrument-feels so good! Gino Vanneli; are you serious.hahahah, i thought he was from Italy!!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
for me, Rush, Triumph & April Wine (all already mentioned). I'd add Saga to my list as well as Aldo Nova and FM. Slik Toxic and Sven Gali had some decent stuff too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This can go on forever :bow: What about... Gordon Lightfoot , Ian Thomas, Tom Cochrane, Leonard Cohen, Gotta put a plug in for Great Big Sea :smilie_flagge17:

FZ1

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Ripper said:
Sum 41, The Scotsmen, Rough Trade, Headpins, Red Ryder, Prism, Streetheart, Harlequin, Triumph, Anvil, Platinum Blonde, Big Sugar (Grady), Thornley, The Tubes, Kim Mitchell, Queen City Kids, Nickleback, Sebastian Bach and many more.
What...no mention of Keith Hampshire or Les Emerson:D

BTW, the Tubes are American...although they did make a cool appearance on SCTV.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts