The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
These are beautiful guitars. Playing piano for 40 years and now guitar for 12 years, I now realise that I was a snob when it came to playing bass. I just figured anyone could play it. That's until recently. I've always used my keyboard to lay down the bass tracks for my recorded music. I recently purchased an acoustic bass and decided to use that for a couple of songs. It hard, no it's damn hard to play that thing properly and I must admit I've gone back to using my keyboard. I was wrong about bass guitar and my respect for you that do play bass has gone way, way up. Here's to the bottom end (I'm also including drummers here to no more jokes about drummers).;)

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
These are beautiful guitars. Playing piano for 40 years and now guitar for 12 years, I now realise that I was a snob when it came to playing bass. I just figured anyone could play it. That's until recently. I've always used my keyboard to lay down the bass tracks for my recorded music. I recently purchased an acoustic bass and decided to use that for a couple of songs. It hard, no it's damn hard to play that thing properly and I must admit I've gone back to using my keyboard. I was wrong about bass guitar and my respect for you that do play bass has gone way, way up. Here's to the bottom end (I'm also including drummers here to no more jokes about drummers).;)
Now, try to play with your fingers insted of a pick. THAT IS SO FREAKING HARD TO MASTER!
I feel you, when I started back in january I was sure it was just a scaled down guitar... Boy, I was wrong!

L

·
0 Posts
Now, try to play with your fingers insted of a pick. THAT IS SO FREAKING HARD TO MASTER!
I find that playing with a pick is harder.
For me anyways.
It's a longer sweep and it tires out my wrist.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I find that playing with a pick is harder.
For me anyways.
It's a longer sweep and it tires out my wrist.
Depends on the distance between strings, I guess.
I'm working on the "3 fingers" technic by Alex Webster and damn not the easiest.

My three-finger plucking technique is fairly simple. It goes ring, middle, index repeatedly. The trick is to make sure that you can create an even pulse of 16th notes rather than simply triplets and gallops. To do that, I recommend that you practice accenting the pattern in a way that creates a feeling of four: RING, middle, index, ring, MIDDLE, index, ring, middle, INDEX, ring, middle, index, etc.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The other guitar player in the band and myself are wanting to learn bass! I played at rehearsal one time because the bass player had to run out to do something! It was a lot of fun even though I hadn't a clue as to what I was doing! It felt pretty good just to use my fingers to pluck strings instead of a pick.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
So, what should I know besides there bring a difference between a six string vs. a a 4 string.

What are some of the difficulties in learning bass?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts