The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Yea, nice get.

Funny thing is: You know who I think of when I see that guitar? No one.

That is one of the few combinations of guitar that doesn't immediately spring to mind a classic player. Cherry SG's - lots of guys. Black LP Customs? Lots. Burst Standards? LOL Juniors of various incarnations make me think of certain guys. Even ES's in black, cherry or burst. Certain players spring to mind. But black SG's - not so much.

You have an opportunity, @hedzup to make that guitar iconic since no one else has done it yet (at least, no one that I can think of). Classy lookin' guit though!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Very cool looking SG. I've been eying those up in the L&Ms near me. Did you get any sort of deal on it, if you don’t mind me asking? They are priced super high around here ($4100).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks beautiful! Congrats on the new toy! I hope it’s a keeper!

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
The SG was more or less THE guitar of the Summer of Love , and a fundamental part of the Haight-Ashbury sound. Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish used one, as did Robby Krieger of the Doors, John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, and the guys in Big Brother and the Holding Company, and many others. And then it sort of fell out of favor. It seems to have returned with a vengeance in the last 5 years or so and I'm not entirely sure why. My first instinct is to attribute it to Angus Young. But then AC/DC have been around for decades, and even though Angus hasn't changed guitars in all that time, the resurgence of the SG is more recent. Greta Van Fleet? Nah, too recent. Derek Trucks? A potential role, but not likely as big a role in its popularity as, say, Mike Bloomfield and Eric Clapton had with LP bursts.

Why do you folks think the SG has made a comeback? And particular reason, or am I only imagining something I'm calling a comeback?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Nice ! But as an electric dumb, my eyes were catched by...
... the fantastic wooden table underneath : could you say some about it ? ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts