The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking a for a grab and go amp for practice and hopefully some gigs. 100 watt or better and would like an effects loop for the Joyo/Tech 21 blonde. I'm not opposed to a head and cabinet combo.

I've been looking at the Quilter heads, the ZT Lunchbox, and even the Katana amps (though liking those less). I'm cheap by nature so always looking for the budget option. Anything else that I should consider?

I'm a blues/county/rock kind of guy with 3 tones; Fender clean, Blackface blues (the edge of breakup; use this the most), and on occasion Tweed crunch.

Thx

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Another vote for the Fender Mustang. I don't own one but have heard them at a show and sounded like a nice Fender tube amp to me.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Keep your eye out for a Tech 21 Trademark amp. I just scored a Trademark 10 for $120. It is basically at GT2 pedal in amp form with reverb and effects loop and heaphones. Weighs nothing!
I opened it up. Easily enough space for a 10” speaker I reckon.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up a used Tech21 Power Engine for $200 today to run with my Joyo American. I'm not sure if it will stay or not but have the time to flesh it out a bit. One question I did have is can you attach a second 1/4 jack to the speaker to use as a cab when not plugged in? If you did that would need on/off switches to prevent power going back to the amp when used as a cab?

·
Premium Member
17,596 Posts
can you attach a second 1/4 to the speak to use as a cab when not plugged in?
I have done this, but have always disconnected the speaker from the "primary" amp at the speaker itself and then connected a 1/4 inch jack interface. I put everything back to original after using the speaker as a cab. I have never got involved with switches as I always fear that I'll forget to flip the switch and screw up. I'm sure you could introduce a switch and make a somewhat "fool"/"idiot" proof (in my case) design.

·
Administrator
16,448 Posts
The Koch Startrooper (hybrid amp) is outstanding on the clean channel. I will be selling it eventually but probably not quite as "grab and go" as you are looking for. 1x12 combo with 2 channels and a built in attenuator. Tough to find though. The Mustang III I had was also a very good amp.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Returned the Tech21. It was OK sounding and a little lighter but ultimately not what I was looking for.

I did add another tube amp; an older YCV40 which is not quite grab and go but is not bad (the shape and carry position is much better than the YGM-3). I'm also interested in the Vox mini Beetle for that role as well and want to play with one at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Boss Katana or Blues Cube. I tried both when I was recently shopping for something similar to what you're looking for. I ended going in a different direction but either of those two would have worked for me.

The other option is some of the older Fender SS amps. They can be picked up for song used.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Returned the Tech21. (the shape and carry position is much better than the YGM-3).
I traded my StudioMate with a forum member for a Blues Cube. Super easy carry, nice crunchy tone if needed, lots of power. I dialed down my pickups a slight tad to soften the Blues Cube to my taste.

I kept my GuitarMate for at-home use.

EDIT: He also threw in a Tech 21 TradeMark 10. I use it in the bedroom with a $77 guitar for those ideas that can't wait for the studio. I enjoy the clean sound, but everything else is complete garbage. Practixce only. It would never cut a gig for me. The infamous "intermittent" problem is solved with a squirt or two in the efffects loop, then jump the loop with a short cable.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Peavey Bandit. Any of them. Newer ones, which is after 1990 so still almost 30 years old, have effects loop.
The stock speaker is ok, but a replacement will improve it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts