The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recieved my custom white LR from JSDs today. Gotta give Kevin kudos for great service and a great product. Heres some early impressions

-it,s F$%#^$NG gorgeous!
-great stock pickups...a bit hot but may not need changing
-the neck is perfect, not a 60s but not the old baseball bat either...love it
-sounds like a LP should, deep and ballsy
-nice Grover tuners
-great case
-it,s 8.5 ilbs (I checked)
-fit and finish look great..better than any Epi LP i,ve seen (and I used to own one)
-one small bit of damage, the PU selector switch plastic knob is split..easy cheap fix
-electronics seem first rate...good taper on the tone controls
-I would say it is not on par with a Gibson but the closest I have seen for a MIK guitar
-I am starting to think of saving for another one allready...great guitar for the $$$$
-sorry no digital camera but on the JSDs guitar shack site lots of good pics

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the kudos, I'm glad to hear you like it! Sorry about the PU selector switch, I guess I packed her too tight in the case with the body bag and all. I'll be sure to send out another switch tip to ya....;)

Now she needs a name.....:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go for it Xanadu....Kevin will hook you up!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
SCREEM said:
J.D. are the Tokai's available with a plain maple top without the veneer?
No, there are no plain maple tops available. As mentioned there are solid cap plain maple ones available in the Japanese line but those are only available overseas.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I miss the one I had. Should never have sold it. Great guitars. Excellent quality/cash ratio. Now I'm thinking I should save for another one. Hmmmmm. For what it's worth, I used to play with a guy who had a Gibson Joe Perry Les Paul (The first one), and the case would always tip over, because I find LP cases are very unbalanced, and sure enough, the pickup switch knob would be broken. He actually ordered a box of them to have. Pretty common occurence. Anyway, congrats, enjoy, and let's all get a Tokai and start a club. :rockon:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have an MIK Love Rock that I absolutely love. Great guitar for the cash, and with a little work they can be amazing.

I put a Rio Grande Texas BBQ pickup set in mine, one of my favourite guitars.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Tarl said:
I recieved my custom white LR from JSDs today. Gotta give Kevin kudos for great service and a great product.
Hey Tarl, I've got the exact same guitar on the way! Kevin shipped it out on Tuesday - hoping it'll show up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are the strat copies ever made with alder, or any other wood besides agathis? I see the tele copies are made with alder, why not the strat copies aswell?

I friggin' hate agathis

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jcon said:
Hey Tarl, I've got the exact same guitar on the way! Kevin shipped it out on Tuesday - hoping it'll show up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Joe
Let me know how you like yours, I,m luvin mine. No need to change the PUs that I can hear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
NoTSoAgILe said:
Are the strat copies ever made with alder, or any other wood besides agathis? I see the tele copies are made with alder, why not the strat copies aswell?

I friggin' hate agathis
Those were a short run of cheap Strat copies shown on the site and they were agathis which really isn't a bad wood. Most wouldn't know the difference. There have been ones made with alder too but none are available anymore.

Actually all Tokai guitars will no longer be available in Canada. Once current stock runs out its lights out for Tokai here in Canada.....:mad:

Enjoy your guitar Joe, its getting delivered today.....:rockon:

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
JSD's Guitar Shack said:
Actually all Tokai guitars will no longer be available in Canada. Once current stock runs out its lights out for Tokai here in Canada.....:mad:

Huh ???????????????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Son a of..... that really sucks man.

I wish I could have got my hands on a alder strat when they were out. Oh well, looks like I'l just have to search ebay when I get enough cash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts