The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Legacy arrived and WOW is it loud!!! Like insanely loud! It sounds great but I wish I was able to put the volume to 2 atleast without drowning everyone else out... including my 5150.

As a pair these amps sound perfect together! Probably one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. The Leagacy is a little darker than what I was hoping but with a simple swap of the preamp tubes it'll be working perfectly!

That and me replacing my tubes in the 5150... I think my power tubes are going. Must've got a bad batch, cause I've only had them in for about 7months. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
or you cranked the hell out of 'em. a bad batch probably wouldnt last to 7 months :p.

glad to hear you like it! the thing i like about the JSX is its quiet (for a 120W amp) until you set the FX loop to 10 and engage it - THEN its loud! great hidden system lol.

might I recommend JJ's from eurotubes for the retube? i got a set of KT77's from them and they are great tubes, great customer service :).

clips if ya can :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I won't be going back to JJ's nor Eurotubes; I now pick up my tubes from Dougs Tubes. Biggest reason for this is the option for different kinds. With eurotubes there is only JJ and thats it. For example the power amp tubes I'm ordering for 5150 are going to be a set of TAD 6L6WGC-STR and mismatching the preamp tubes. Don't get me wrong the guy at Eurotubes is a great guy and very helpful, but limited with options.

As for the EL34's I think the JJ's would be way too dark for the amp. JJ's in general for either power or pre tubes would be too dark (I think the Legacy came with unlabeled JJ's in the preamp). But... you have me interested in the KT77. You're not the first person to suggest these, but the more and more I hear about them I'm very curious.

Can you give me anymore insight on the KT77's? Whats the tone like, are they closer to a EL34 or 6L6?

As far as clips go, you might have to wait till Dec. Band is going into studio.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
ya I won't be going back to JJ's nor Eurotubes; I now pick up my tubes from Dougs Tubes. Biggest reason for this is the option for different kinds. With eurotubes there is only JJ and thats it. For example the power amp tubes I'm ordering for 5150 are going to be a set of TAD 6L6WGC-STR and mismatching the preamp tubes. Don't get me wrong the guy at Eurotubes is a great guy and very helpful, but limited with options.

As for the EL34's I think the JJ's would be way too dark for the amp. JJ's in general for either power or pre tubes would be too dark (I think the Legacy came with unlabeled JJ's in the preamp). But... you have me interested in the KT77. You're not the first person to suggest these, but the more and more I hear about them I'm very curious.

Can you give me anymore insight on the KT77's? Whats the tone like, are they closer to a EL34 or 6L6?

As far as clips go, you might have to wait till Dec. Band is going into studio.
you can tell him what kind of sounds you want from your amp with the JJ's and he'll grade them to suit your tastes.

I haevnt spent a lot of time with 6L6's in my amp, I love the EL34's that were in there. i believe the KT77's are like EL34's but with a bit more bottom, some different harmonics. bottom line: I love these tubes!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just built a 2204 clone (with some gain & tone mods) and spent today swapping between Sovtek EL34's and JJ KT77's. The KT77's are a little darker and definitely have more bottom. They also don't break up quite as early. The EL34's are more bright & crunchy, break up earlier, and are more "in-your-face".

Both are crazy loud in this amp. I had both sets biased a little over 60%. I haven't compared to the Mullard re-issues I have kicking around yet. I got tired of swapping & re-biasing today!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The Legacy arrived and WOW is it loud!!! Like insanely loud! It sounds great but I wish I was able to put the volume to 2 atleast without drowning everyone else out... including my 5150.
One word.........attenuator.

I have a Webber Mass100. Admittedly I did not like the attenuator until I re-tubed my Legacy with a tube recipe from Doug's Tubes. Now the amp sounds killer and even when attenuated

·
Registered
698 Posts

I have a Webber Mass100. Admittedly I did not like the attenuator until I re-tubed my Legacy with a tube recipe from Doug's Tubes. Now the amp sounds killer and even when attenuated
Yep. I don't like using them but sometimes you just don't have a choice! With my Laney & Marshall it's either that or total hearing loss.

I would expect the Legacy sounds killer even at lower volumes ("lower" being a relative term!). I was thinking about ordering one myself before I bought the Traynor. Nice choice bro!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Aww I don't wanna shell out any more money towards amps. I think I'm gonna just keep it at low volumes and realize that I'm not close to tapping the full potential of this amp. Maybe one day I'll be able to play in a stadium... even if empty and just let it loose!

BTW what tubes did doug recommend? EL34's or 6L6's and what preamp? Probably in January I'll change out the stock set for something better and not so dark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts