The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stopped at a shop I usually go to Wednesday after work and found this. Soon as I saw the custom edition sticker I bought it. Sold for 128,ooo yen in 1991.

·
Registered
131 Posts
sweet axe. I've only been to Japan once for a week's visit from Hong Kong and walked into a guitar store in Tokyo.....OH MAN WAS IT EVER COOL :bow:

It's now become my mission to return to Japan just for the sake of picking up some killer axes that wouldn't regularly be found here.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I`m lucky I live in a small city...nothing like Tokyo so fewer buyers looking and luck plays a part. My secret is...I visit the few shops we have here frequently...at least twice a week, which would be a full time job in Tokyo. So I got lucky....actually been lucky a lot since I started buying old MIJs...and I know it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice!

Never been to Japan.. do they value American Strats and Teles like they do on this continent? Are there lots of them around? And are they worth more or less than over here?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks. I also have an ExTrad from around the same time and it has identical finish damage on the bottom of the guitar from the chemical reaction to the rubber on guitar stands, so yes they are finished in lacquer. This one is pretty rare I think...only one I`ve seen though I have another `54 that is stamped custom made for the Ikebe chain of shops here and is stamped with their name in the pocket and neck butt, `til I got this one it was my best sounding strat, but now I`m not so sure...need more time to compare. The Ikebe has a satin neck while the new one is glossy and it feels less of a hard V shape then the Ikebe...might be my imagination but it feels different to me. As far as I know, this model is not in catalogs and at that price it was high end, but I was surprised it doesn`t have custom order stamped on it...so I`m not sure of it`s history.

·
Registered
788 Posts
the neck on mine is flat sawn and has a hardish V for the first couple frets, then smooths up to a FAT C from the 4th fret up, reminds me of a PRS wide fat minus the V part, theis strat just does it for me:bow: The neck is poly, the thinnest possible about 0.35mm, body has a thick poly 1.5+mm

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the Japanese Fenders have really gained in popularity over the past few years all over the world I think. interestingly...not so much in Japan except for the earliest stuff...seems folks here have begun to realize just how exceptional those can be. They also made a lot of shop order models that never appeared in catalogs and are much less common outside Japan... some are not that commen in Japan either as most were limited runs. I can`t seem to say no to bargains on the high end FJs. :wave:

·
Registered
50 Posts
SCREEM said:
nice guitar whats the neck like?
The neck has a thicker feeling, so it took a bit longer to get used to when I first bought it. Same thing with the vintage frets. Once I got used to that, and got a decent setup, it's like butter.

·
Registered
788 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Fantastic, I had one just like that but it had a rosewood board. Another one I should have kept. I am currently out of Fenders completely.
what faux pas rendered you fenderless:tongue:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts