The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught for doing 119 in a 100 on 417.:mad: normally people are going a lot faster. like 130.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Xanadu said:
I got caught for doing 119 in a 100 on 417.:mad: normally people are going a lot faster. like 130.
...that is odd. i rarely see anyone doing under 130 in a 100. i think you should fight it.

i would like to initiate campaign to have anyone caught driving in excess of 150 km/hr stripped of their license and insurance. sadly, i won't get far. we live in a society where endangering innocent lives with your vehicle is not only accepted, tolerated and condoned, it is actively encouraged!

-dh

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
david henman said:
...that is odd. i rarely see anyone doing under 130 in a 100. i think you should fight it.

i would like to initiate campaign to have anyone caught driving in excess of 150 km/hr stripped of their license and insurance. sadly, i won't get far. we live in a society where endangering innocent lives with your vehicle is not only accepted, tolerated and condoned, it is actively encouraged!

-dh
it's only a 60 dollar ticket. It's really not worth my time and effort to fight it. And it's the end of the month. ****ing cops:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I would like to see Canada get a version of the Autobahn, and anyone caught driving too slow is stripped of their liecense and insurance. Maybe they should be hung or shot too, I havent decided on that part yet. Of course the liecensing system would have to be changed so that Canadians would be forced to actually learn how to drive.................

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Xanadu said:
it's only a 60 dollar ticket. It's really not worth my time and effort to fight it. And it's the end of the month. ****ing cops:mad:

...true, $60 is hardly worth protesting, but what about demerit points, or the risk of your insurance rates going up?

i have a feeling you'd find a sympathetic judge.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Accept2 said:
I would like to see Canada get a version of the Autobahn, and anyone caught driving too slow is stripped of their liecense and insurance. Maybe they should be hung or shot too, I havent decided on that part yet. Of course the liecensing system would have to be changed so that Canadians would be forced to actually learn how to drive.................
...yeah, its the slow drivers who are the major cause of the carnage on our highways. we definitely need to teach them how to drive as fast as humanly possible, thereby making our highways safer.

maybe testosterone injections would help. and campaigns that promote manly, me-first driving techniques.

lets hold contests where the first person to arrive at their destination gets free chest hair implants.

turn all our streets and highways into racetracks. yeah, that'll help.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
david henman said:
...true, $60 is hardly worth protesting, but what about demerit points, or the risk of your insurance rates going up?

i have a feeling you'd find a sympathetic judge.

-dh
i didn't get any demerit points, and i dunno about insurance rates...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Its far too easy to get a license in this country. Germany, and most European countries have far stiffer qualifications, and far better drivers. Plus you have to go back for regular certification.
And nevr mind getting a motorcycle license unless your prepaired for extensive education and repeated t4esting and certification.
They have a law called `drive right` meaning, you stay in the right lane unless overtaking. If you are caught cruising in the left lane, (like every second buttholesurfer in Ontario)you are in for a severe penalty. Traffic fatalities are far lower there than they are here. Coincidence?? I think not.

CT.:D

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
CocoTone said:
Its far too easy to get a license in this country.

That I can agree with 110%.

Good, courteous driving is not hard. But even in the North (I did spend 6 years down in Toronto and Kitchener) the majority of drivers seem to be careless, lacking attention and have no idea what a signal is, etc.

I think it starts with the driving age being too young IMO. And being too easy to get a drivers license. Too many people on the road without respect for the machine they are in charge of.

AJC

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
On the Autobahn you can cruise in the left lane, as long as you are doing about 300 kph...........

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
CocoTone said:
Its far too easy to get a license in this country. Germany, and most European countries have far stiffer qualifications, and far better drivers. Plus you have to go back for regular certification.
And nevr mind getting a motorcycle license unless your prepaired for extensive education and repeated t4esting and certification.
They have a law called `drive right` meaning, you stay in the right lane unless overtaking. If you are caught cruising in the left lane, (like every second buttholesurfer in Ontario)you are in for a severe penalty. Traffic fatalities are far lower there than they are here. Coincidence?? I think not.
...it may be that they are, indeed, better drivers in europe, although i have read that they are not. i understand that the autobahn is a unique road. it could be duplicate on the prairies, but not in the middle of suburban southern ontario.

as for left lane bandits, they are certainly a puzzle, no question. but they are rarely the cause of highway carnage and, for the most part, only annoy drivers who are in way too much of a hurry.

sensible drivers are never in a hurry. in fact, "good" driving is NOT about speed.

for "some" reason in western society, we are obsessed with left lane bandits. i think we all know the reason...

all the close calls i have witnessed in my 45 years of driving have been caused by speeders, me-first types and other arrogant "i'm more important than anyone else" drivers.

for some reason, i don't have the sudden urge to run for my life when a slow driver approaches...

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
I've had to reduce my highway speed. I typically set my cruise at 130 but I got nailed a couple of times and it's bloody expensive so now I set it at 119 ~ 122.

Hell if you go much slower than that on the 401 you'd better consider installing a jump ramp on the back of your car.

Anything above 130 is a bit crazy, but even worse in my opinion are the guys who pass on the right and weave in and out of lanes without signalling.

100 KMPH was fine when cars were in their infantcy. 130 in a modern car, presuming you're stone cold sobre, wide awake and driving in good conditions is completely safe in my opinion.

I'm surprised you got dinged doing 119. They generally don't bother. It also depends on the relative speed of the other traffic on the highway at the time.

Don't be among the fastest.

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
As for slow drivers in the fast lane, I DO consider them a hazard and well, just plain ignorant. I have no issues with people who are nervous about highway driving and want to drive 100 kmph, but the place to safely do this is in the right lane or at very least, in the centre lane.

The difference between 100 and 120 is insignificant over a one hour drive. Try driving to Detroit and back, or down east. That 20kmph can make a big difference over long distances.

I don't get frustrated when I encounter such imbeciles. I patiently wait until I can safely pass them on the right (something I avoid).

The combination of these idiots and the idiots who are in WAY too much of a rush puts all drivers in jeopardy.

Balance is the key.

Saying the "left lane bandits" aren't a hazard is a bit like the bad driver who says "I've never been in an accident" (while failing to mention that they've caused quite a few).

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:
As for slow drivers in the fast lane, I DO consider them a hazard and well, just plain ignorant. I have no issues with people who are nervous about highway driving and want to drive 100 kmph, but the place to safely do this is in the right lane or at very least, in the centre lane.
The difference between 100 and 120 is insignificant over a one hour drive. Try driving to Detroit and back, or down east. That 20kmph can make a big difference over long distances.
I don't get frustrated when I encounter such imbeciles. I patiently wait until I can safely pass them on the right (something I avoid).
The combination of these idiots and the idiots who are in WAY too much of a rush puts all drivers in jeopardy.
Balance is the key.
Saying the "left lane bandits" aren't a hazard is a bit like the bad driver who says "I've never been in an accident" (while failing to mention that they've caused quite a few).
...for the most part, i agree.

and, yes, left lane bandits "can", in very rare instances, be a hazard, although i have yet to witness it, and i drive some 50-60,000 kms annually. for the most part, the problem is blown WAY out of proportion, usually by impatient drivers who feel personally impuned if they lose a fraction of a second off their drive time. and, generally, its not the driver doing 100 km in the left lane (seriously, how often does that happen..), but the driver doing 120 and actually passing:

this is what both myself and my girlfriend encounter most often, virtually EVERY TIME we get on a 400 series highway. you're passing a line of slower traffic, and you're travelling a about 120-125 and, INEVITABLY, some yahoo comes screaming up behind you, sits on your bumper and begins honking, gesticulating, flashing the high beams etc......:zzz:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:
130 in a modern car, presuming you're stone cold sobre, wide awake and driving in good conditions is completely safe in my opinion.

It also depends on the relative speed of the other traffic on the highway at the time. QUOTE]

...exactly!!!!

when traffic is flowing and uncongested, 125-130 km is usually not a dangerous speed to drive.

sadly, too many yahoos think its safe to drive at this speed, or higher, during rush hour or other busy times, including during the weekend cottage rush.

which brings me to another issue:

if you want to see just how stupid we become when we get behind the wheel, look at the regular blitzes during cottage season. the only way you could NOT be aware that these blitzes are taking place is if you just landed here from a galazy ten trillion light years away, and even then...

and yet, by tuesday morning, there will be approx a thousand tickets issued to these post-darwinian rejects from the bottom of the food chain.

and don't get me started on the clowns who whine "cash grab" every time they get caught speeding.
can you say "voluntary tax"?

whew!

:thanks5qx:

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
david henman said:
...for the most part, i agree.

and, yes, left lane bandits "can", in very rare instances, be a hazard, although i have yet to witness it, and i drive some 50-60,000 kms annually. for the most part, the problem is blown WAY out of proportion, usually by impatient drivers who feel personally impuned if they lose a fraction of a second off their drive time. and, generally, its not the driver doing 100 km in the left lane (seriously, how often does that happen..), but the driver doing 120 and actually passing:

this is what both myself and my girlfriend encounter most often, virtually EVERY TIME we get on a 400 series highway. you're passing a line of slower traffic, and you're travelling a about 120-125 and, INEVITABLY, some yahoo comes screaming up behind you, sits on your bumper and begins honking, gesticulating, flashing the high beams etc......:zzz:

Yup, can't deny that's a very real problem and happens frequently, but I also drive a fair bit (all over the world) and I honestly see people driving 100 ~ 110 in the passing lane surprisingly often.

It's pretty simple really, if people are passing you on the right, you're probably in the wrong lane.

I know I'm very cognizant of what's happening behind me and if I see someone approaching from the rear and gaining on me, I get my A$$ over. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been stuck behind someone (often on the cell phone) who seems oblivious to what's happening behind them.

Like I said, I've reduced my cruising speed to 120 so I'm not exactly driving like a maniac. Additionally I'm VERY conscientious about signalling lane changes, a practice that seems sorely lacking in many drivers.

I'm not talking about the GTA here. I do most of my driving between Brantford and Detroit and throughout the States.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Accept2 said:
I would like to see Canada get a version of the Autobahn
there's a stretch of highway between winnipeg and calgary with only two or three stoplights. I believe it is referred to as the "albertabahn"

on a more related note, it's a proven fact that driving as un-erratically as possible improves your gas mileage by a fair margin

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Welladjusted said:
there's a stretch of highway between winnipeg and calgary with only two or three stoplights. I believe it is referred to as the "albertabahn"

on a more related note, it's a proven fact that driving as un-erratically as possible improves your gas mileage by a fair margin

No question about it. I swear by cruise control. It's amazing how much drivers speed up and slow down and how apparent it is when you're on cruise control. I've passed the same car four or five times on the highway. That tells me the guy is driving emotionally. Also interesting with cruise control is when you pull out to pass someone and they speed up in the lane to your right. Human nature I guess. I like the computer to handle the consistancy aspect.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Albertabahn...

This stretch of road from Winnipeg to Calgary it can't go through Saskatchewan. There's no hi-way here that can be bahn-ified.:confused-smiley-010

1 - 20 of 53 Posts