The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...will my traynor ycv series tube combo soon become merely a backup for my tech 21 trademark 60 solid state combo amp?

stay tuned.

i picked up the tech 21 recently online (got quite a deal) and i've been playing it at rehearsals. the tone, versatility and tweakability are very, very inspiring. i'll be trying it at a gig soon. it is extremely light weight. plus, i have a line on a jenson neodymium speaker, although the amp sounds so amazing as is, i'm fearful of tampering with it.

-dh

·
Registered
349 Posts
I tried one of these once in the store and I was surprised at how the tone was very un-transistor like but it still wasn't tubes to me. I also tried a bunch of those newer traynors and found them to be voiced more on the dark and scooped side... I would give the older tube amps a try as maybe that Traynor's voicing was not to your liking. I like the way those tech 21's record though. You can also find them fairly cheap.

(p.s- I found that allot of the newer tube amps have this voicing because of the hard rock nu metal thang)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried one of these once in the store and I was surprised at how the tone was very un-transistor like but it still wasn't tubes to me. I also tried a bunch of those newer traynors and found them to be voiced more on the dark and scooped side... I would give the older tube amps a try as maybe that Traynor's voicing was not to your liking. I like the way those tech 21's record though.
...actually, i love my traynor ycv40wr. its not going anywhere.

and, yeah, the trademark 60 is an absolutely amazing amp for recording!

-dh

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
I think more of us need to open our minds to the reality that tubes are NOT the only way to get great sound.

I'll bet the Tech 21 would "fool" many of the most ardent tube devotees.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Amps don't make my jaw drop.

Players do.

(and writers).
Both do for me. Amps more often then players, locally atleast lol.

I had the chance to play a Diezel (don't remember the model) and it sounded AMAZING. Too bad the dude said it cost him 5 grand... last I heard he sold it to fix his car, hah.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I am a huge Tech21 fan! I use their Acoustic DI and Bass Driver as front ends into a PA system. Built like tanks.

A Trademark60 is on my short list of gear to buy.

·
Premium Member
13,262 Posts
Okay. To further open a can of worms. On the The Gear Page, there has been this thread on the Fractal Audio Axe-FX. A new leap in SS amplification. It is now almost 700 posts long with 30k views. It is generating quite the buzz. One of the biggest 'converts' , for lack of a better term is the site administrator, Scott Peterson.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=267882

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Okay. To further open a can of worms. On the The Gear Page, there has been this thread on the Fractal Audio Axe-FX. A new leap in SS amplification. It is now almost 700 posts long with 30k views. It is generating quite the buzz. One of the biggest 'converts' , for lack of a better term is the site administrator, Scott Peterson.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=267882
I've had the Axefx for a couple months now. It is jaw dropping, even though I am not a jaw dropping guitar player. I honestly purchased it for home recording purposes because I love my current live rig and have no intention replacing it...........well, had no intention. The tones I am getting out of this machine are unbelievable! That plus the Eventide quality effects.........the reverbs and delays are worth the price alone. I don't have the experience with amps like Scott Petterson, but I know what sounds good.

For the next couple months I will be using it for rehearsals to see how it cuts through the mix of the band. I'll keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
17,967 Posts
i've heard great tones from SS as well as tube amps, and i've heard AVT's do some nice things too.

its not usually the amp that isnt that good, its the guy setting it up. if you can make a 4K all tube fire-breather halfstack sound good, kudos to you. if you can get a 15W 108 practise amp to sound good, kudos to you.

so long as buddy keeps both amps, he's pretty much set.

·
Registered
349 Posts
hmmmmm my first reaction was, "not bad" for a JCM800.. a tad fizzy but then i realised that this was recorded direct ! (talking about the site samples) for direct recording it is sounds pretty solid and not thin. I imagine that through a power amp it would be pretty bitchin. I have to say I was ready to dismiss this but I have to give it credit. Its solid. Would like to hear someone mic' it though a cab..

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...the sounds i'm getting from my trademark 60 are not jaw-dropping, life changing or mind-blowing. they do, however, cause me to want to avoid stepping on my pedals...

to put it another way: the traynor tube (ycv40wr) combo gives me a wonderful clean sound upon which to build the rest of my sounds. however, the trademark 60 adds a little bit of grit, warmth and an indefinable "mojo" that i find very inspiring.

i would probably get the same results if i was able to crank the tube combo, but i never, ever get to play that loud.

-dh

·
Premium Member
17,967 Posts
you dont get to crank the traynor? a pity, they sound pretty good running about half, in my experience.

im now in a place where i dont know how loud i can go, but my halfstack is nowhere near how loud i used to play it at home lol. the sooner we get a band together and have shows, the better!

what about an attenuator for the YCV?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what about an attenuator for the YCV?

...i have not had favourable experiences with either attenuators or master volume controls. both sound, to my ears, like placing a pillow in front the speaker. they seem to kill all the air, dimension and dynamics.

back in the day (dontcha hate that expression!) i used to be able to crank an ampeg half stack. now THAT was inspiring!

-dh

·
Registered
172 Posts
...i have not had favourable experiences with either attenuators or master volume controls. both sound, to my ears, like placing a pillow in front the speaker. they seem to kill all the air, dimension and dynamics.

back in the day (dontcha hate that expression!) i used to be able to crank an ampeg half stack. now THAT was inspiring!

-dh
Wow. That would be a problem. I've played the tech 21. It's fine for what it is but I would take:

A Roccaforte HG100/Master volume/at any volume level over a T21.

A Marshall 1974X cranked into a DrZ Airbrake at any volume over a T21.

A Superchamp/Master volume/at any volume level over a T21.

A 65amps SoHo/Master volume/at any volume level or master volume bypassed/cranked into a DrZ Airbrake at any volume over a T21.

Best regards,

Brian

1 - 20 of 37 Posts