The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have some amplifier simulator software set up, I'm going to start looking for some powered monitors.

Can anyone recommend a good line of monitors that won't break the bank?
I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the simulator business or not, so I don't want to get to heavily invested at this point. Even if I let the simulator stuff go, I'll probably still use these with a laptop or iPad to replace the stereo system I'm using, so I don't mind sticking my neck out a little.

I have no volume restrictions. I like a really good bass response also, so speaker size recommendations would be appreciated .

Besides Long and McQuade, any other good places in the KW, Guelph Cambridge areas I should check out?

Home audio centers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I should mention that I have no volume restrictions. Looking for quality both at both loud and low level volumes

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
How big is the room you play in?

Basically the size of the room dictates your speaker size.

You don't want big 8" woofers cranking out tonnes of bass in a guest room and 3" speakers would sound dinky in a large living room.

I have the 5" Mackies and I have no complaints but I don't have much to compare it to.

Hear good things about the KRK's.

Hear great things about Yamaha.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts
These days, most budget monitors are decent enough. Get some acoustic treatment to go with them and you're set.

In general, a cheap set of monitors in a room with good acoustic treatment will do far better than pro level monitors in an untreated room.

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Thanks guys, I should mention that I have no volume restrictions. Looking for quality both at both loud and low level volumes
If you want something bigger than studio monitors, I would look at powered PA speakers. Lots of used stuff available, you can even get new speakers for cheaper than some of these nearfield monitors.

You just need something that's broadband and relatively flat. While it is necessary for tracking and mixdown, the slight increase in accuracy of some of these more expensive monitors may be lost on guitar modeling. And they won't produce near the SPL that an SR box will.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, the room is large. It's an L shaped basement Rec room. The speakers will be placed on my desk centred on a 12-14' wall projecting out into a an 18' deep x 20 wide space. That being said, I will be sitting right in front of them.

As for acoustics, the floors are laminate on top of the plywood subfloor on top of concrete, ceilings are suspended tile.
There's a mishmash of furniture in the room. Not sure how much acoustic treatment the space needs?

These speakers will be used as either music playback while I'm at my desk, or using for playing through amp sims. I'm not going to use them for standard audio speakers to fill the room

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
NICE!!!

Let me know what you think of them once you have had an opportunity to put them through their paces.

You don't have to wait for Santa to bring these...correct?!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NICE!!!

Let me know what you think of them once you have had an opportunity to put them through their paces.

You don't have to wait for Santa to bring these...correct?!
Absolutely. Probably should wait until after Xmas. Don't have to, but doesn't feel right to me, you know? The season is about giving to others

1 - 15 of 15 Posts