The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for a little multi-effects pedal for those not-often-used sounds that are needed from time to time. I don’t want it to be the centrepiece of my board, just a little add-on. I would not be using it for dirt at all.

It seems the typical rule of “good, small, cheap: pick two” applies here as it is difficult to find something that fits the bill all-around. Below are some options I’ve come up with, but some are getting OLD. Anyone have other ideas?
  • Line 6 M5. I’ve had both of the other M-series pedals in the past and they have been okay. Presets are definitely a bonus, but it’s still a bit big for the space I’m trying to fill.
  • Zoom MS-70CDR. Definitely fits the bill for small and cheap, and also has presets. I don’t know much about this pedal, and it seems to also be getting somewhat old at 5 years.
  • Keeley Super Mod Workstation. Other than the price, this one looks pretty killer, but I’ve never actually played one and don’t know much about it. No presets, but you can set up two sounds.
  • Southampton Utility Knife. This is what got me started looking for this kind of pedal, but was hoping to have a few more options like reverb and such, and switching sounds in a live setting would be problematic without presets.
Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have a Zoom MS-100BT and use it to add modulation, delay, and oddball effects when needed. I got it on clearance a year or two ago and at the time (and perhaps still now), all of the additional effects that were available for purchase in the Zoom Stomp Share iOS app were unlocked and free. So, I downloaded and installed every single one that I thought might be interesting. I haven't even tried them all yet there are so many. And it's a normal pedal size so it isn't a big space hog on my pedal board. I'd recommend it (and assuming the MS-70 has similar effects, I'm sure it's as good a deal).

I have gigged with it & I take it out a lot, it's been reliable. And I should also mention that I never use patches, I pick what effect I need and use it like any other stompbox.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
If one DSP or set, is tasked with producing multiple effects simultaneously, the quality of the sound produced is "challenged". My analogy is the diffeence between a PC's performance with higher-end videogames, vs something dedicated, like a PS3. As far as I know (and please DO correct me if I'm wrong), CPU speeds on platform gaming machines are not discernibly faster than those of desktop PCs. But the OS of gaming machines is not predicated on "checking up" on multiple things that have nothing to do with gameplay, so they can run a lot faster. I'm sure there are other graphics accelerators, etc., that assist n this, but thew fact that it isn't time-sharing with non-game functions helps a LOT.

That's the long way of saying that having several single-effect/multiple-personality pedals might be preferable. For instance, NUX has a "Core" series of pedals that offer one-effect-at-a-time, but several alternatives of the same category in each pedal (Core Series Stompboxes - NUX). I recently picked up a Donner Alchemy pedal ( Donner Alchemy Guitar Effect Pedal True Bypass 8 Modulation Effects: Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio ) from a guy on Kijiji for $30, and picked up a MUZA FD900 delay pedal from another guy on Kijiji for $60. Between the two, I have pretty much every modulation, delay, and reverb base covered in two 1590B-sized pedals. Certainly not cheap, when purchased new, but bargains can be found. Quality is decent and the DSP circuitry is not overtaxed with trying to do too much.

I have an M5 as well. Lotsa options there, and a real bargain, even at retail price. Although the Uni-Vibe patch never really gained any traction in my world. It has the brunt of what is found in their floor-pedal modeler series, like the DL4, MM4, et al., plus some of what is in the Verbzilla pedal, plus a tuner, presets, and a nice usable expression-pedal function. A useful addendum to many pedalboards, especially for those effects you wouldn't generally drop money on for the rarity of their use.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for something for my acoustic rig.

Mostly I need boost and reverb, ideally with their own footswitches, and then chorus, echo, and phaser would be nice to have too.

Not really sure yet if I should try to find a multi-function device or not. I've been collecting individual pedals for many years now. Compact size would be a bonus though.

Are there specific effects that are "must haves" for you?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Zoom MS-100BT and ... I downloaded and installed every single one that I thought might be interesting
I hadn’t realized they were free now... that’s cool. I don’t think I’d ever use the amp and cab sims, but it would be nice to know they are there if I needed them in a pinch. Was there a limit to how many you could download? I heard it doesn’t fit all of the sounds.

Tremolo and reverb. Some mods and extra delays would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I hadn’t realized they were free now... that’s cool. I don’t think I’d ever use the amp and cab sims, but it would be nice to know they are there if I needed them in a pinch. Was there a limit to how many you could download? I heard it doesn’t fit all of the sounds.
I have no idea if there is a limit in the number of effects. Perhaps you can fill it up, I don’t recall the app giving me any limit on the downloads though. I can tell you that I’ve loaded more effects in there than any player would able to use.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, looking for something for my acoustic rig.

Mostly I need boost and reverb, ideally with their own footswitches, and then chorus, echo, and phaser would be nice to have too.

Not really sure yet if I should try to find a multi-function device or not. I've been collecting individual pedals for many years now. Compact size would be a bonus though.

Digital does some categories of effects extremely well, and others not so much. At least not in real time. While not intending to cloud the waters even more, I will note that the free Toneprint app for many TC Electronic pedals allows for reconfiguring the pedal well beyond its nominal function. So, for example, forum member zdogma loaned me his Alter Ego delay, and I was able to reconfigure it to be a through-zero flanger. I won't say that the software was easy to work with, but it did allow for a lot of experimentation, and whatever patches you come up with (or provided in their sizeable library) can simply be fed to the pedal. So that's yet another way to have multiple "effects" without taking up more room on the pedalboard. Not quite a multi-FX, but verging on it. I regularly see Toneprint-capable pedals on Kijiji for <$100.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I have the Keeley Super Mod workstation and it is nice. The mod sounds are great and the added reverb and delay give it that little extra. Two effects at a time are enough for me as I can add pre or post as well with other pedals. It is a surprisingly tiny pedal and takes up little space. Lately I have only been using it with a Rat and really liking the tones.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bought the zoom ms50g a few weeks back; loving it so far, but haven’t had a chance to jam with others since I’ve had it.

It’s very versatile, but you need to put in the time to figure it out. There are great YouTube videos to point you in the right direction.

For $100, this thing is never leaving my board. It’s already worth it’s weight in effects, plus it’s only slightly bigger than a boss box.

The amp sims are meh, but the modulation effects are great for the price and the pedal is infinitely tweakable. Also really liking the Rat effect, because I’ve always wanted a Rat pedal but can never free up the space on my board to get one on there.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I don’t think anyone on the forum has ever talked about Hotone Xtomp, at least search does not seem to return any hits: Xtomp » Hotone Audio. It fits the small and good categories, but cost is a matter of perspective — it is easily worth the used prices.

The sound quality is amazing. The variety is amazing. And every last Fri of the month, without fail, they release at least 4 new effects and sims, usually more. You might also change your mind about dirt with this one, it is shockingly good.

@troyhead, since we’re in the same town, you are extremely welcome to borrow for as long as you want, I have spares. You can check out their Android or iOS app now and see all the effects downloadable over Bluetooth. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions!

@troyhead, since we’re in the same town, you are extremely welcome to borrow for as long as you want, I have spares.
You are awesome, @LexxM3 thanks! I was thinking about the Xtomp, but is there any way to change sounds without using your phone? I'm okay to even kneel down to a pedalboard to make some adjustments between songs, but pulling out a phone to change settings might get awkward. That said, I might still have to give one a try. :)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions!
You are awesome, @LexxM3 thanks! I was thinking about the Xtomp, but is there any way to change sounds without using your phone? I'm okay to even kneel down to a pedalboard to make some adjustments between songs, but pulling out a phone to change settings might get awkward. That said, I might still have to give one a try. :)
Yes, unit has 6 knobs (I am talking about the full size Xtomp, I don't have any experience with the mini) and those knobs get assigned specific functions for specific loaded effect, e.g. gain, level, tone, delay, etc. So while the effect can only be loaded/changed by phone (it is retained between power cycles i.e. you power up and use the effect already loaded, no phone required), you use the physical knobs to set parameters of that effect. You only need the phone to change the effect.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Xtomp is kind of a cool idea, but I was hoping it would hold at least 2 or 3 presets that could quickly be swapped - chorus, phaser, trem or something like that.

The fact that you need to reprogram it via Bluetooth is kind of limiting for a live situation.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Xtomp is kind of a cool idea, but I was hoping it would hold at least 2 or 3 presets that could quickly be swapped - chorus, phaser, trem or something like that.

The fact that you need to reprogram it via Bluetooth is kind of limiting for a live situation.
You do need to use your phone to load an effect, but if previously used, it’s a fast load, few seconds. There are also a number of combination effect, where 2 specific effects are loaded/running at the same time. You can review all of those if you download the app.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts