The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to bring my Godin Passion RG3 to someone to have this factory second checked out for anything serious that I'm just not noticing. I could bring it in to L and M for a setup, but thought about going directly to a more specialized guitar guy as this guitar is ten years old, even though it's been sitting in the Godin factory forever. The price was marked down by a huge amount, so I'm wondering if there might be a defect I'm just not noticing. Anyone got any recommendations?

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are a number of good techs and builders in Vancouver.
You don't need to find a "Luthier" necessarily.
I'd recommend seeing Dave Reimer, who works at Tom Lee Music down town, or Meredith Coloma.

The fact that it's a Godin, tells me that most likely, nothing major is wrong with it.
More than likely it got a scratch or some blemish and was sold as a second. Those guitars are consistently well made.
No need to see an Ortho surgeon for a sprained ankle if you know what I mean. Either way, an experienced tech can give it a once over pretty quickly before spotting anything major.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't know where you're located but the two that I would recommend in a heartbeat are: Eiichi Ishikawa (Shuriya Guitarcraft - Art of Guitar Repair) in south Vancouver and Barry Ewart (Ewart Guitars - custom guitar building, painting and guitar services, products) in Burnaby.
As noted above, these 'factory seconds' are usually a minor cosmetic item. FWIW, I did play that guitar at Tom Lee and, other than dead strings, could not see anything that was an issue in terms of build/playability...
If there is an issue , AFAIK a one year Godin warranty should come with the guitar -- you can email them to confirm. In that context, you may want to have Paul Iverson inspect it given he's connected to a Tom Lee store. You also have a 30 day no-hassle (in my experience) return on the guitar.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I have also heard good things about Barry Ewart. Never used him myself but two friends swear by his work. Paul Iverson is closer for me and he has always done me right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips everyone I'm located in the Joyce area, right by the station, so any of these guys would be reachable, I think. Godin I can tell is one o those companies that really puts a lot into quality control, and from what I've noticed, there definitely is only a small ding on the body. Just thought a once over would be a good idea regardless, also planning on swapping out the stock tuners for a locking set.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hold on there, those should be Gotoh 510 locking tuners on the RG-3 -- no need to replace them!! If you're not familiar with them (there's a trick to unlocking them when changing strings), check this instructional video:
How? Magnum Lock
IMHO, great locking tuners!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmm. I'm a totaly blind player, so I know this guitar by feel alone... and the tuners on the one I bought don't feel like locking tuners, but maybe I'm just used to the look of the ones on my LGX-SA. But if you played the same one, then it's probably me just not recognizing them as a different style of locking tuner than the ones I'm used to seeing. The video isn't commentated, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there either.

Edit: So I actually looked them up, turns out they didn't have the thumb tack that is inserted to keep the string locked down the way my LGX does... these just lock and unlock themselves apparently. Good to know.. amazing what a little research will turn up. Newbie mistake. Sorry folks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts