The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, just wonderin whatare some of the best heads for stacks out there, im lookin fer a tube head and i just want good clean sound im not worried about teh built in distortion or effects or anything

·
Registered
189 Posts
nathanandrewmeima said:
hey, just wonderin whatare some of the best heads for stacks out there, im lookin fer a tube head and i just want good clean sound im not worried about teh built in distortion or effects or anything
Whats your price? There really is no best, just lots of different. Unless you go for the cheapest around, most stuff these days is of pretty good quality.

I suppose some of the best would be an original Trainwreck..... but are you ready to spend $20 000?:tongue:

·
Registered
283 Posts
marshall jcm800s, 900s or 2000s are great aswell. can always find them used because they sell so well. an amp i would die for is an orange tube head. drool

·
Registered
788 Posts
some of the older Mesa's are nice...ala MarkII's very loud, clean and warm...shyte distortion channel though, so you're looking at boosting the clean channel with a pedal for leads.

·
Registered
273 Posts
SCREEM said:
some of the older Mesa's are nice...ala MarkII's very loud, clean and warm...shyte distortion channel though, so you're looking at boosting the clean channel with a pedal for leads.
It may not be to your taste, but to say it's 'shyte' seems a little harsh. I will admit that it's far easier to get a bad lead sound out of it than a good one. Check out Harmony Central and you'll find for every one negative review of the amp there are several dozen that rave about it.

If price is an object in looking for a tube head, check out some of the older Traynor heads. There are a number of guys on this forum that can turn them into quite decent amps for not much coin. Similarly, some of the 70's silverface heads such as the bandmaster or bassman aren't bad for the money. There are what would appear to be some really good deals on tube heads at Songbird in Toronto http://www.songbirdmusic.com/ such as a 50 watt Traynor YSR-1 for $495, a 100 watt Carlsbro head for $595 and a '67Bassman head for $795.

Happy shopping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts