The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Apart from 12fret, can anyone recommend a good guitar tech/repair shop in Toronto? 12fret is good, but they are often super busy...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I had Leif Bodnarchuk set up my thinline tele and he did a really good job. Was also turned around quickly and he was flexible on drop off and pick-up times.

I've used the Fret for years and have always been very happy with their work. I'm just getting tired of the 3 week wait for a basic setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Scottone. I found Brian Mascarin's name on the net and just spoke with him on the phone. Sounds like a real cool guy to deal with. I am going to him to set up my Taylor. I, too have dealt with 12fret for a while, but their wait time is getting to be a bit much.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Talk to the guys upstairs at Capsule Music and Song Bird Music. The are on Queen West around Trinity Bellwoods Park. I've bought stuff from them, but I haven't used their guitar services.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I'ved used both Leif Bodnarchuk and Capsule and they're both great. I used to use the 12th Fret but with turn arounds from 4 to 8 weeks... well I guess when you open at 12:00 and close at 6:00, it doesn't give you that many hours to deal with your customers.

I

·
0 Posts
I like the Fret when I'm not in a hurry (read: I've got 3 months I can live without a particular guitar for). In the last year I've sent stuff to Ryan Fairhead (http://www.brokenstring.com/). Does very good work. And charges great prices for it. And he was turning stuff around really fast for me (saved my ass one Sunday before a Monday morning session and did a nut repair while I waited).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had great experience with Tim Jones. He regularily comes to my house and does all my guitars in my house so there is no wait time or security issues. For me the idea of leaving a vintage treasure at a shop for 2 weeks is unthinkable.

I also find Tim reasonable and very knowlegable. He has worked repairs at L&M and a guitar importer and works fast and sets up to MY liking. Tim also really knows how to set a wammy bar up just right.

You can email me if you want his contact info.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Rong said:
Tim Jones...really knows how to set a wammy bar up just right. You can email me if you want his contact info.
...A GUITAR TECH WHO KNOWS HOW TO SET UP A FLOATING TREM?

IN TORONTO?

:banana:

...email coming, mate.

-dh

·
Registered
3 Posts
there are no good guitar techs in toronto

I've tried them all. None of them are good at everything. 12th fret ****ed up a simple setup. Capsule botched a stock Tele assembly. Frank Toth talked me into a fret level I did'nt need, then destroyed the frets. All of them charged me top, and I mean TOP, dollar.

You need to find one guy for each thing. Pat Rush at L+M Bloor for setups, especially floating trems. Frank for electronics. 12th Fret and Capsule for, I don't know - hype?

No-one here is capable of doing fretwork. Bite the bullet and send it to the States to get Plek'd. Seriously. No-one in Toronto is ever touching my fretboard again.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've tried them all. None of them are good at everything. 12th fret ****ed up a simple setup. Capsule botched a stock Tele assembly. Frank Toth talked me into a fret level I did'nt need, then destroyed the frets. All of them charged me top, and I mean TOP, dollar.

You need to find one guy for each thing. Pat Rush at L+M Bloor for setups, especially floating trems. Frank for electronics. 12th Fret and Capsule for, I don't know - hype?

No-one here is capable of doing fretwork. Bite the bullet and send it to the States to get Plek'd. Seriously. No-one in Toronto is ever touching my fretboard again.
I'd advise you to go to Encore Music Exchange at Danforth Road & Danforth Avenue in Scarborough. They've got a new guy there named Gene and he's the one who partially assembled my Tele "Partscaster" guitar. You can see some photos of it here:
http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=19942
He did a really good job on it and I recommend him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also reccomend Gene at Encore. He did an amazing job setting up a Floyd Rose for me. A lot of guitar techs in the city dont want to touch Floyds but he really dialed it in. He also makes custom bodies and does refinishing. He's got a really light white pine Tele body there I'm considering for a project.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it seems that nobody knows about Gene at Encore-cheaper, quicker, and a helluva guy. My little secret then. Keep going to 12th fret, just remember that they are authorized for a certain guitar for CANADA and if you don't have it ...well wait.

This is just my experience.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...gene at encore, huh.

exquisite timing - i'll check him out on saturday.

i just moved to the area and i'm within walking distance.

evidently they have a good amp tech there, as well.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...update:

i had gene at encore replace the rosewood neck on my 86 strat plus with one with a maple board.

he did an absolutely stellar job!

quickly (two days!), even though i told him there was no rush, and at a great price.

-dh

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Also Zac from Songbird has opened up a repair shop with Tim Dudley (also ex-Songbird). Was talking to them the other day and it looks like I have my new techs. Tons of experience, low price, and FAST turnaround. One week for a fret levelling. Had an amp diagnosed the same Saturday afternoon I dropped it off.

www.superfuzzaudio.com

1 - 20 of 32 Posts