The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line 6 distortion mod. and the "Heavey metal" distortion doesnt cut through and the "classic" distortion is a pile of crap.
I am using a sg special faded and a fender twin amp. I need a good metal distorion pedal that will cut through and a good "classic" distortion, my price range is about $200 for each pedal, any suggestions?

Son of Bogoboy

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
E-mail Scott at:
www.axeandyoushallreceive.com

Tell him your setup and what you're looking for and he'll suggest a few, Scott knows his pedals!!!

I love my SubDecay Blackstar ... great Metal distortion but has to be played loud ... sounds a bit raspy on bedroom levels but once you crank the amp up, it just screams. It cuts very well in a live setup with a loud drummer and a 2nd guitar player.

Diamond Fireburst is a switchable Fuzz/Distortion pedal but is (IMHO) the best "Soldano SLO in a box" pedal I've heard.

For "classic" dist/od sounds I'd suggest:
SubDecay Stupid Box
Xotic BB PreAmp
MI Audio Crunch Box (a bit noisy but tons of gain and EVH type tone)
Fulltone OCD (some love it and some hate it ... depends on your setup)
Cusack Screamer (I have the Screamer Fuzz and it's awesome!)

BTW ... Keep in mind that ultra-saturated type of "metal" sound will never cut well in live situation because
more gain = more compression and
less mids = less "cut".

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Try the Radial Tonebones, either the Classic or the Hot British or even the Trimode if you want to have both. Another one that you might want to look into is the Fulltone OCD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd definitely give the following a try:

ProCo Rat
Marshall Shredmaster
Diamond Firebird
Danelectro Fab Tone
EHX Metal Muff
Lovetone Brown Sauce

·
Registered
666 Posts
http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/

Buy Canadian. It also helps that his stuff is some of the best I've ever tried in 35 years of playing. His London Fuzz is the best germanium fuzzface clone I`ve ever had. I also use his Blues Devil, which is a very high quality TS808 clone with true bypass. All components are matched, and hand assembled. I'm ordering one of his Vibe units. Can't wait to play some Band of Gypsys riffs!!!!

CT.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
If youre not afraid of racks, look into a good rackmount preamp. There are some preamp pedals on the market, but so far none of them have the controls that a good preamp will have. Some cheap but great preamps for metal include the ADA MP1; ADA MP2; Kitty Hawk Quattro; Peavey Rockmaster; Rocktron Pro GAP; Rocktron Piranha; Rocktron Voodu Valve. A few are over your budget of $200, but include more than just a preamp............

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Chito said:
Try the Radial Tonebones, either the Classic or the Hot British or even the Trimode if you want to have both. Another one that you might want to look into is the Fulltone OCD.
...i have both the hot british and the trimode on my board. kinda pricey, but i haven't found anything i like better.

-dh

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would honestly start by looking at your amp. A twin is a far cry from a heavy metal amp and really isn't that great for classic rock. That amp is made to be loud and clean!

If you must play fender, why not go down in size to a deluxe. That may give you the overdrive you are looking for and you could add a decent distortion pedal on top of that for heavy stuff. Or better yet, look into the old Laney stuff if you want a heavy amp.

Not trying to put down your gear. Twins are great, but they may not be great at doing what you want it to do.

Just a thought
TG

bogoboy said:
I have a line 6 distortion mod. and the "Heavey metal" distortion doesnt cut through and the "classic" distortion is a pile of crap.
I am using a sg special faded and a fender twin amp. I need a good metal distorion pedal that will cut through and a good "classic" distortion, my price range is about $200 for each pedal, any suggestions?

Son of Bogoboy

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Twins are good for metal. I use Roland JC120s for metal, and they are the cleanest amps around. You should also consider the OCD pedal...............

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
traynor_garnet said:
I would honestly start by looking at your amp. A twin is a far cry from a heavy metal amp and really isn't that great for classic rock. That amp is made to be loud and clean!

If you must play fender, why not go down in size to a deluxe. That may give you the overdrive you are looking for and you could add a decent distortion pedal on top of that for heavy stuff. Or better yet, look into the old Laney stuff if you want a heavy amp.

Not trying to put down your gear. Twins are great, but they may not be great at doing what you want it to do.

Just a thought
TG
I have to agree with you, the twin is not a metal amp, however I think it makes more sense to start with a clean sound and distort it (with a pedal). I don't think you can make a distorted sound - clean. You're also right, the Twin is great amp (for the money) and with the 25-100 watt switch etc it's versatile for a clean tube amp.

·
Registered
272 Posts
amp change +1

I'd agree with the guys suggesting a different amp. I had a music man 212 for years and with a rat in front of it I could get decent distortion out of it, but it's not even the same ballpark as a marshall, boogie, etc. Since twins tend to sell used for 850-1000 depending on year, condition etc. you should be able to sell it and get an older boogie like a mark III for possibly less than a high end distortion pedal. There's a Mark III for sale at 12th fret (12fret.com/used) for $950 and that is a pretty damn nice amp for the coin - you'd never be short on volume or distortion with that amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fender twin

if i was you i would hunt down a reverend drivetrain overdrive pedal ..i have a twin II and the rock sound with master volume on full and adjusting the drivetrain volume according to room size is incredible...have tried every pedal on the market twice and the drivetrain beats them all...of course that is my opinion...lol...Bon Scott Rules !!!!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Accept2 said:
Twins are good for metal. I use Roland JC120s for metal, and they are the cleanest amps around. You should also consider the OCD pedal...............
I love my OCD, I'd definately consider it a heavier OD, not quite full out metal. It's what I use for my heavier sound, and then for heavy lead I boost the OCD with the Klon, the Klon will cut through anything.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
nine said:
m9-guitar is on a spamming spree! :banana:
Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?

Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!

Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: I don't like spam!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd just like to point out that I've trademarked "spampage" so if any of you want to use it you have to mail me 25 cents. :tongue:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a Digitech Black-13 a couple months ago and I really like it. I'm using it with a solid state Crush 30R amp and it gives me a great, thick and chunky 90's thrash sound. It has 7 preset models based on Scott Ian of Anthrax's sounds throughout the years.

If you liked that era of music (Testament,Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Overkill, etc.) you'll like this pedal :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts