The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of picking up a bass for fun.

i'm leaning towards either a squier p-bass or a godin freeway 4-string. is there a worthy bass i've forgotten?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Old Peavey models like the Foundation are decent, and very cheap...........

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welladjusted said:
i'm thinking of picking up a bass for fun.

i'm leaning towards either a squier p-bass or a godin freeway 4-string. is there a worthy bass i've forgotten?
Godin, Peavey and many of the Ibanez models are nice. I've always been a fan of Ibby's. I wouldn't get a Squier. Perhaps a used MIM Fender, but I understand the Squires to be extremely hit or miss - moreso than MIM Fenders.
Cort makes some fabulous stuff these days. Actually, pretty much any guitar coming out of Korea is made by Cort.
Washburn is another.

There is a tonne of decent lower priced instruments out there. I guess the best would be to play as many as you can to see what feels right for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How Much are you looking to Spend?....Ibanez make quality mid range instruments and if you look around you can probably find a used one fairly cheap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$500 tops, i'm thinking.

are the OLP music man copies any good? i love the music man basses

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welladjusted said:
$500 tops, i'm thinking.

are the OLP music man copies any good? i love the music man basses
I heard they're decent but not stellar.

How 'bout an SX from Rondo? Cheap and great quality for the price after a $20 pot/wiring kit?
http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I got my yamaha BB for $350 and it's one of the best basses I've ever played.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squiers are major hit and miss, but you can be lucky. I was. Extremely lucky.
I've played a couple OLP's and to me, there's just something horribly wrong with them. I find it to be too much of a one-trick pony. For the same price, I'm a fan of Peavey's and Ibanez'. Heck, I'm sure you can find gems at used places for that kind of money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i agree that the squier basses do not warrant consideration. my favourite are the Tribute series basses made by G&L. incredible quality and sound for the price. the peavey basses and yamaha basses can also be a great value, especially if you find a good used one.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
bassman blue said:
i agree that the squier basses do not warrant consideration. my favourite are the Tribute series basses made by G&L. incredible quality and sound for the price. the peavey basses and yamaha basses can also be a great value, especially if you find a good used one.
The G&L Tribute basses are GREAT basses! About $800 new. I saw a used 5 string online for $450 or so - it was sold in a couple of days.

I'm trying to sell my MF right now, and if it sells I'd like to get a Tribute and a cheaper project fretless bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts