The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker came to me today asking if I could recommend a good (cheap) amp that takes input from an acoustic and a mic at the same time. His son plays finger-style and sings at various old folks homes in town and needs a little more volume for the larger rooms and those hard of hearing. He’s looking at a 15 watt Fender Acoustasonic. I suggested the 40 watt (balked at the price) or the Fishman Loudbox (REALLY balked at the price). Any one have any other ideas? I imagine the chance of finding a used one locally is slim to none.

Guitar amplifier Electronic instrument Musical instrument Technology Electronic device

Guitar amplifier Electronic instrument Musical instrument Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,722 Posts
I have a Traynor AM Custom 225 watts can run two mic’s and a guitar. It cost me a grand a few years ago but they have cheaper versions. I like it better than my friends loudbox but the loudbox is good too. Traynor has more eq knobs to mess with and lottsa effects plus it’s loud as fuck.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
the loudbox mini is a great little amp.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Behringer 1800Fx : 180 watts is too much but its four channels helpful.

By the way, old age as well as noise deafness hamper high frequency hearing : bassier tone voicing are heard better than high pitch yelling... and ask for less sound volume.
As hearing aids probably do not manage complex (like crowd conversation) or high volume sounds well, so there should not be much of them in the music room.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Wow, they go for 450 new and everyone wants 350 used?

What about one of those battery operated Roland cubes? L and M sells them new for 250ish

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I just found out that the little 3 and 5 watters from Vox normally used for electrics can be played with acoustics. I have a Vox DA5 and a Mini 3 G2 and tried my Taylor in both on the clean channels. The guitar sounded great with no feedback squeal which is typical of a bigger amp. They have mic in, aux in, headphone /line out and both run on batteries or with ac cord. The DA5 sounds like a much bigger amp than it looks. Both can be found dirt cheap used

1 - 13 of 13 Posts